First Batch Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage NY

Reaction score
guys, I know the experienced brewers out there are probably tired of hearing this question, but this being my first batch, I have to ask specifically. I have no air lock bubbles (know, thanks to this site, that doesn’t mean fermentation is happening or not.) so I just opened my bucket, and the pic attached is what I see.... it’s been 96 hours. The tiniest little bubbles pop up here and there, but no real “action.” I plan on doing a hydrometer reading this weekend. Smells like beer! I am not sure at what temp I pitched the yeast. And I am afraid I didn’t aerate the wort enough prior to yeast. Thoughts?

Attachments

• C97E2239-EE8C-4E7E-ADC9-E2FC62B970B7.jpeg
    C97E2239-EE8C-4E7E-ADC9-E2FC62B970B7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 9660828C-0FE0-4445-A613-58B064A7164D.jpeg
    9660828C-0FE0-4445-A613-58B064A7164D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81
Looks like CO2 bubbles leaving solution. Buckets are notorious for not sealing properly, and this will effect airlock activity.

Keep that lid on until you plan on doing an intervention (i.e., gravity reading, transferring, etc.). Looks like you'll be okay tho...

Looks normal. That ring around the bucket is where your krausen was...just looks like the yeast has already done most of it's business. Take a gravity reading a few days apart to confirm FG is stable and in range, then move on to the next step.

Looks normal, check the gravity. I assume this is from a kit? Should be close to the FG the kit says it should be. If it' s more than a few points high you could sterilize a spoon, rouse the yeast with some gentle stirs and let it be for a few more days.

Looks normal, check the gravity. I assume this is from a kit? Should be close to the FG the kit says it should be. If it' s more than a few points high you could sterilize a spoon, rouse the yeast with some gentle stirs and let it be for a few more days.
Great... lan on taking a reading tonight. Will let you all know how it turns out. Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back