First batch...dumped everything into primary - including trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
I made a bonehead mistake I believe. I poured my 3 gallons of wort into my primary that had 2.25 gallons of cold boiled water. The bottom of my wort boiler was clean as a whistle, so I think all the trub went into the primary, I completely forgot about even attempting to avoid getting the trub in the primary.

Did I ruin my batch?

I plan on using a secondary so the trub will be left behind in 5-7 days. Is this too long for it to sit in the trub? If so, is there anything I can do about it right now? I have a glass carboy and bottling bucket with spigot. I pitched the yeast at 3:30pm on saturday afternoon to give you a reference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

CB

What were you making? What's the recipe? Sounds like an extract batch and that should be ok regardless. Methinks the big concern would be if you were using pellet or whole hops...

Ize

Ize said:
What were you making? What's the recipe? Sounds like an extract batch and that should be ok regardless. Methinks the big concern would be if you were using pellet or whole hops...

Ize
Brewer's Best Red Ale from a kit. Ingredients:

3.3 lbs. Plain Light Malt Extract
2 lbs. Plain Light Dry Malt Extract
12 oz. Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz. Crushed Black Patent
1 each Grain Steeping Bag
1 oz. Willamette Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Willamette Hops (Finishing)
1 each Beer Yeast (Nottingham?)

The hops looked like little rabbit food pellets. I think it'll be ok for 5-7 days before going to the secondary, but I just want to be sure.

Dumping the trub into the primary is a lazy habit that I've formed, but from here on out I plan on using a strainer. I've done all my brews the same way you just described and they've turned out well. Your beer will definitely won't be ruined

Latest posts

Back