First batch day 1 complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbound

Reaction score
So today I brewed my first batch of beer. :rockin: it took a lot longer than I expected but everything went ok I guess for the most part... Besides making a huge mess and missing my og by 10 points. This was an Irish red ale and was supposed to have an og of 1.044 but I got 1.034. I'm kind of frustrated with myself for missing my og but I guess if it tastes good ill be satisfied.

Also I was wondering is it normal for it to take an hour to cool wort using the ice bath method?

Sometimes it can take longer. If you add ice water to the wort after it is done boiling, it will cool a lot faster in your ice bath.

Agreed 1 hour to chill in a ice bath isn't bad. Gravity reading could have been low if this was an extract batch and the top off water did not get stirred up good.

as you learn how to chill with an ice bath you will get the times down. I had it down to 20-25 minutes, after a few batches. Now I have a wort chiller that I made myself for $30. get the wort chilled in about 12 minutes.
as far as missing the OG, if you were brewing an extract kit, you may not have mixed the top off water in enough.

So today I brewed my first batch of beer. :rockin: it took a lot longer than I expected but everything went ok I guess for the most part... Besides making a huge mess and missing my og by 10 points. This was an Irish red ale and was supposed to have an og of 1.044 but I got 1.034. I'm kind of frustrated with myself for missing my og but I guess if it tastes good ill be satisfied.

As long as you know why you missed it by 10 points you can fix it on you next brew. What happened? :cross:

seriousbeef said:
As long as you know why you missed it by 10 points you can fix it on you next brew. What happened? :cross:

Well I think it was because when I was transferring from my boil kettle to my fermenter, I left some in the bottom. I was too worried about not getting sludge in it that I didn't get all the concentrated wort. I think I mixed it well though. I dumped it back and forth from my carboy and bottling bucket. But, now I know how not to do it next batch :)

So has anyone made this kind of mistake before? I was just wondering if it would effect other aspects if the beer other than the ABV

I brewed my very first batch today as well. I made 6 gallons of Munton's Pale Ale from an extract kit using a Blichmann burner and a home-made wort chiller to cool it. I broke my hydrometer so I have no idea what the OG is, but I'll find out eventually if I screwed up somewhere bad enough to taste it.... or blow it up.

Thanks to everyone on this site who answered my dumb questions and put me at ease. The 'mistakes that still turned out well' thread was especially inspirational!

Back