First Batch Bottled!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptChet

Reaction score
I finally got to bottle my first batch tonight! :ban: The wife and I bottled 2 cases of Oktoberfest and the last splash was splendid IMO. As long as the bottle conditioning goes well, we'll be enjoying in a few weeks!

Thanks to all those who answered my newbie questions! :mug:

Chris

PS- The second batch may not get bottled :( We'll see if it improves in the primary.

Bottling the first batch was a great feeling. Don't get inpatient and crack one of those bad boys open too soon lol

As BrewBoy said/asked, what is wrong with the second? I actually just put my Belgian Wit in the fermenter on Monday.

Thanks!
As BrewBoy said/asked, what is wrong with the second? I actually just put my Belgian Wit in the fermenter on Monday.

Well for the second batch I tried a Belgium Wit recipe that I found on here. But some of the info was erroneous and said to mash flaked wheat by itself. So not knowing any better at the time I did. But I know different now. I also got recipes mixed up and bought a hefe yeast and had to drive back to the LHBS and ended up using safale s-33. So I followed the recipe added the DME and used my new IC and all went well until I woke up at 7 am and found the temp had gone above the 78 on my temp sticker. Got it cooled down to the mid 60's and visible fermentation lasted only another 24-36hrs. I took a SG and sampled it. It has a funny taste I cant put my finger on. That was on the 22nd.

So I am not sure whether it got too hot and caused the taste or it is still just young beer. The temp was above 78 for less than 6-7hrs. Maybe the yeast strain has that flavor, but whatever it is I can not bottle it. Both I and the wife dont like the taste. Not sure what to do, any suggestions would be grand!

PS - Is there anything to look for to tell if bottle conditioning is progressing?

Maybe the yeast strain has that flavor, but whatever it is I can not bottle it. Both I and the wife dont like the taste. Not sure what to do, any suggestions would be grand!

PS - Is there anything to look for to tell if bottle conditioning is progressing?

Time heals all wounds, and most beers. It is worth bottling and putting it aside to forget about for a while. Who knows? In a couple of months, it may have turned in to the best beer you ever had. Flavors definitely do change over time.

The best way to tell how bottle conditioning is progressing is to crack one open! :) I just bottled my barleywine on Christmas Eve, and cracked a bottle last night to "see if it is carbing". Even flat and green, it is one hell of a tasty brew. I just hope that there are some left in June, when I figure they will be "ready".

Well, it may not taste like a great wit, but it might taste fine anyway. You'll find out soon enough.

I like a good witbier. Thinking about making some very soon.

Back