First Batch Bottled! Some After thoughts and Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just finished bottling my first batch of beer! Definitely excited about it. Even tasted a little (Couldn't help it) and it tasted like a beer so that's a good sign! I got the Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewers.

I'm concerned I didn't rinse my bottling bucket well enough. The night before I cleaned it out with Oxyclean free. Let it sit for a couple of hours or so and took it outside to rinse with the hose. Couldn't really see (lights blown out) but i sprayed it down and swirled the water around a good amount and dumped it. Now i'm worried i maybe didn't rinse well enough and there is soap in my beer.

My questions are:

- What's the chances I did leave behind some Oxyclean? If so, how bad is it to get some in the beer? Will it kill you? Make you blind? Make you sick? Throw off flavors in your beer? Ruin your beer? Do nothing? I only used about half a scoop (if that) to 5 gallons of water and did rinse it with the garden hose (decent pressure).

- I noticed a film on top of my beer while I was filling the bottling bucket and some soapy looking suds and not sure if it was left over oxyclean from the night before or just StarSan (almost looked like gas in a puddle).

- After i sanitized my siphon it fell on the floor with the tube attached. I was upstairs for about 5 mins so who knows how long it sat on the floor for. I picked it up and sprayed it down with some sanitizer but I'm worried about contamination now.

These might be little concerns and I'm just over thinking it because I'm new but I wanted to check first. I hope I'm all set and my batch isn't ruined. Maybe I just need to RDWHAHB? :mug:

I wouldn't worry, especially if you rinsed and then did a rinse with Starsan. Spraying the siphon with Starsan is exactly what I would've done. Should be fine. :mug:

The film could be hop oils, I can't remember if the caribou kit has dry hops, but have noticed this in a few of my more hoppy beers. RDWHAHB!

I've noticed the film as well since I started to use StarSan, but it should be harmless since StarSan is no rinse

I've gotten that too. Floating hop oils look lke motor oil on wet pavement. You should be fine with the steps you've taken. I've done the same,but with PBW then the hose. I also pour starsan down the sides of my pails after pouring it all over the inside of the lid to run into the pail. Whether it be ale pail or bottling bucket. Then open the spigot to let it drain back into it's storage jug. Good to sanitize the inside of the spigot too.
I always remove them for cleaning,including the mounting hole.

All is well with my batch. For my first batch it came out amazing!. Everyone so far loves it. This is better than beer i've spent money on at the packie. I was worried it was going to suck and end up getting discouraged but instead I am motivated to continue! An additional $350 later (and 1 pissed off wife) I have more fermentors, wort chiller, bottles, ingredient, etc! Second batch is fermentating as we speak.

This is addicting. It could turn into a problem. I can see my basement lined with fermentors, no where to step. :mug:

Back