First batch boiling issue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeermanIPA

Reaction score
Its my first batch!! :rockin: But like everyone else i have concerns...

I am going to see how this brew turns out... hopefully nothing to horrid but I wanted an opinion on how bad this could turn out. I searched through the FAQ but didn't notice anything specific.

I could not get a full violent boil out of the wort. It was more of a gentle boil, more than simmering but not a full rolling boil. The glass top stove we used just couldn't heat up the steel pot well enough. I increased the time it was on the stove in hopes it would help with the coagulation and added Irish Moss to the final 12-15 mins.

How badly will this effect the outcome of the beer? I made an IPA for my first batch as i heard the pale ales are a bit more forgiving.

Curiosity got the best of me and i tasted the hot wort and it was actually very nice, sweet and no real veggy taste like I heard may happen.

Congrats on the first batch! Almost everyone has a bit of that of trepidation in the pit of their stomach as they seal the fermenter after a brew day. RDWHVAHB

Your beer will be better than you think. Previous poster already said it, but it's worth repeating - RDWHAHB.

I had a similar worry on my first brew (see my original link)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what-happens-if-not-very-strong-boil-112859/

To answer your question, doesn't appear to be an issue. The above brew I posted about is still conditioning in the bottle, but I did crack one after 1 week and it tasted fine. Gave some to my visiting mother and she said "tastes like beer", which is a good enough compliment to me :)

Thank you. I was initially pretty worried this was going to be ruined by a stupid stove issue. But its nice to know I wasn't the only one with this concern and that it wasn't much to worry about.

Cheers!

Back