First batch and I have mixed feelings on the results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkansasRed

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I am starting my hand at home brewing and figured a cider would be a good start. I got a simple recipe and have mixed feelings about the results. Mind you I might not reading my hydrometer correctly, so that could be adding to the uneasiness.

I am brewing one gallon of pasteurized, organic apple juice with a cup and a half of sugar added. It has 384 grams of sugar (24 grams x 16 servings). I used a package of Red Star Premier Cuvee dry wine yeast which was activated per instruction. If I read it correctly, the hydrometer was at 1.052 when you factor the temperature and all.

My rig is a simple plastic airlock (with water in it) with a stopper in the one gallon glass jug. The first few hours nothing happened, but this morning I was counting roughly 114 bubbles per minute and this afternoon it went up to about 180. I read on here that sometimes happens (slow to start, but around the second day it gets going).

I am not trying to make an alternative fuel for my car, but I won't pass a good ABV (5 to 7% would be nice). Given all that, have I just created JP8 or should I expect a decent brew?

JP8! ;)

With that yeast, you are probably looking at more towards the 7% range. It's probably going to ferment dry. (mostly likely below 1.000) I don't think you would consider 7%, Jet Fuel, but it might need a month or so to mellow out. Maybe, determine what style of cider you like (dry, semi, sweet, carb'd still, etc) and then there are a lot of people on the forum that can help with each style.

Regardless, it sounds like you have a sound start and I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

Aww shucks! Guess I need to cancel that contract to the Air Force then. :D

I was looking to an English style cider. Crisp and dry, but with a little more "kick" than a Strongbow. I'm not a big Woodchuck, but love English style hard ciders. If the ABV goes above 9% I really start to back away as that can cause problems real quick. :drunk:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to let this be one of those relaxing hobbies that I hear so much about. :tank:

With English Style Dry Ciders it WILL be more relaxing than having to mess with a lot of chemicals, back sweetening, pasteurizing...etc. (just my opinion of course)

I personally prefer using English Ale Yeasts and letting them ferment down to about 1.002...then prime and bottle as normal. This usually gives me about 7% abv, a nice apple flavor (without waiting months for it to come back around) and it's usually crystal clear without much hassle except for racking once to a secondary.

I love my ciders. They aren't overly complex and fairly light in body, but they are good session ciders and don't break the bank. I usually add enough brown sugar to raise the original gravity to around 1.060, pitch some nottingham and walk away.

Look forward to hearing how your batch turns out.

Well she's brewing just fine. I've noticed a slight reduction in my jug. I also noticed it has a unique smell at this point.

I guess I need to read up on finishing the process.

With English Style Dry Ciders it WILL be more relaxing than having to mess with a lot of chemicals, back sweetening, pasteurizing...etc. (just my opinion of course)

I personally prefer using English Ale Yeasts and letting them ferment down to about 1.002...then prime and bottle as normal. This usually gives me about 7% abv, a nice apple flavor (without waiting months for it to come back around) and it's usually crystal clear without much hassle except for racking once to a secondary.

I love my ciders. They aren't overly complex and fairly light in body, but they are good session ciders and don't break the bank. I usually add enough brown sugar to raise the original gravity to around 1.060, pitch some nottingham and walk away.

Look forward to hearing how your batch turns out.

Hear hear! That's what cider is all about. Use an english ale yeast next time, and it will be drinkable and even enjoyable within a couple of weeks. Sooner, if you're a redneck like me.

Hear hear! That's what cider is all about. Use an english ale yeast next time, and it will be drinkable and even enjoyable within a couple of weeks. Sooner, if you're a redneck like me.

Once you're done fermenting are you doing a second stage, or back sweetening any?

No second stage of any kind. If I use brown sugar I typically dont need to backsweeten. However that's only fermenting for five days and then cold crashing. Ive found that adding malic acid gives young ciders a much better flavor due to the appley tartness.

Start another gallon or ten! I just bottled and drank my first two gallons of cider(with friends of course) this past week. You are going to want more than a gallon!

Start another gallon or ten! I just bottled and drank my first two gallons of cider(with friends of course) this past week. You are going to want more than a gallon!

Yeah I already have plans for the 5 gallon brew bucket I got from my local HBS. The first gallon was really a "self test" to see if I could do it. About the second day of fermentation a strange thing happened... My brew bucket started saying, "Use me. Use me Red." And then I was at Sprout's and the apple juice was saying, "You can brew 5 times the amount of cider with your brew bucket." And who am I to question a talking brew bucket? So as soon as payday hits I may just have to give in and try 5 gallons worth.

Pickled_Pepper said:
"...and who am I to question a talking brew bucket?"

Yah that would freak me out too. Better do what it says.

Agreed. Brew buckets are like that hat in Harry Potter, only smarter!

Airlock is showing about 48 bubbles per minute. I think it might be time to think about getting a jug ready for my cider.

Well I went for it. I just pulled the airlock and did a test with the hydrometer. With a little help from the calculator on here I should have 6.8% hard cider. As for taste (mind you this was from the sampling) it was quite tart and dry with a champagne after taste (from the yeast). It's not clear, but I'm not really into aesthetics (yet).

I siphoned it and placed into the fridge. I figured I would try cold crashing and see how that works out. I'm thinking this weekend the brew bucket gets it's wish. :D

:mug:

20130313_210445.jpg

Airlock is showing about 48 bubbles per minute. I think it might be time to think about getting a jug ready for my cider.

At 48 bpm, that yeast is still cruising along. Maybe should've let it get closer to 1 bpm before doing anything. I'm all for trying to slow the yeast down by racking but that was still going strong. Like others had mentioned, try out an ale yeast next and notice the difference. We all have to experiment in order to learn what we like best.

Nice!

I used an ale yeast for my first two gallons. The two I have going now were made with lavlin 1118. That stuff bubbles a lot more vigorous than the ale yeast. Will the 1118 be more dry?

At 48 bpm, that yeast is still cruising along. Maybe should've let it get closer to 1 bpm before doing anything. I'm all for trying to slow the yeast down by racking but that was still going strong. Like others had mentioned, try out an ale yeast next and notice the difference. We all have to experiment in order to learn what we like best.

I guess my problem is premature defermentation. :eek:

Yeah I thought about that, but after a night to think about it, I wonder if it would have gotten a bit higher ABV and then a game of back sweetening would start. Mind you I didn't want something that could peel paint. That being said I am going to pick up an ale yeast for the 5 gallon batch and see the difference.

congrats AR! If you like it the way it is... then don't change a thing. You are brewing for yourself (and the Mrs) so keep doing what you're doing. There's plenty of room for experimentation down the road.

Yeah I think that might be in my best interest. On a positive note she said I should buy an extra airlock and continue one gallon experimentations in brewing.

Marriage is about communication and compromise after all.

Back