First batch AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robange

Reaction score
Im starting my brewing hobby off in the morning with an AG brew of a Blue Moon Clone that I think originated here. My question is a friend of my decided to change few ingredients around and I wanted to know what anyone thought of the changes and the impact it will have. The original recipe called for 4.5 lbs pale malt crisp and 4.5 lbs wheat flaked. he is telling me (Which I bought already) to use 6.0 lbs of 2Row Pale and 6.0 lbs of a Medium Wheat. Does this throw any flags for anyone or am I safe with this. Thanks

Is this for a 10 gallon batch? 12 lbs of grain is going to make a pretty heavy-bodied wheat. I'd bump it down to 10 lbs.

Here's the AHS clone recipe for Blue Moon. They know what they are doing, so I'd copy this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/austin-homebrews-blue-moon-clone-ag-30190/

I agree, 12 pounds seems like a lot for a wheat. But I'm not an expert brewer by any means. Worst case scenario: you try it and it's not what you were going for. That's just another excuse to brew again!

Make an imperial wit, add 14 pounds and a long protein rest at about 122 :). Honestly, blue moon is a fairly crappy wit IMHO and I would try for a hogarden clone or something with a more Belgian twist but that might just be me.

This is the original recipe (below) I was to clone, until my buddy advised otherwise. From what you guys are saying, looks like I should back it down to 5lbs of each malt instead of 6lbs:

Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

With all that wheat, I'd suggest half a pound of rice hulls to keep your mash "loose".

I think that recipe deserves a bit of study, because it's not quite what it says it is.

4.5 lb UK pale malt + 4.5 lb flaked wheat into 5.2 gal at 75% efficiency gives a gravity of about 1.047, not 1.038. The 1.038 is about right for the pre-boil gravity.
I also wouldn't like to try and use UK pale malt to convert an equal weight of flaked wheat. 4.5 lb UK pale could probable handle 1 - 1.5 lb flaked wheat. Why not go for the Pilsner malt which is traditional and has much higher diastatic power? I suspect your friend recommended 6 lb of each because of the apparent low OG

-a.

I am brand new to this so I dont know if all that makes sense to me. But if I break down what your saying I would use a Pilsner Malt in place of the 2 row and continue with the 6lbs of each?

I would use about 5 lb of Pilsner and 5 lb flaked wheat. As it is your first brew, I doubt you would achieve 75% efficiency, but with 70% efficiency, that would give you an OG of 1.048 for a 5 gal batch which is right for the style.

Good luck (if I'm not too late)

-a.

Latest posts

Back