First attempt with oak chips questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I have been doing research on how much oak to use, when to use it, sanitizing, and so on. There doesn't really seem to be any particular way to do it. I have 2oz medium roast frech oak chips. I was told to use 2oz (soaked in 100pf vodka over night) for about a month. I don't want to over do it and think I'd rather play it safe. Any suggestions, or just keep tasting and go from there? Will 1oz chips for a week do anything? Thats what I was thinking of doing...
Here is the batch I want to oak-

6 gallon batch made 4/27/13
22lbs clover honey
10 tsp nutrient/enegizer
EC-1118 yeast

I may split it in half and keep 1 plain, while putting some vanilla beans in the other.

Let me know what you think
wickerman

1oz to 6 gallons will be a disappointment. I would use 3 - 4 oz and start tasting after the first week. I typically leave my beer on the oak for 4 weeks.

It's always easier to add more if its not oaky enough, but you can't remove oak flavor if its too powerful! I'd start with an oz or 2 for a week then check it, if you want more add more or just wait longer

I'm a 3-4 oz guy myself, when I do use it. As advised, taste along the way. Sniff it too. I had a vanilla porter on oak for 3 weeks, using about 5 oz of oak chips soaked in bourbon, and it was plenty. Let your palate and your nose be the judge.

Latest posts

Back