First Attempt at Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monday8908

Reaction score
I've been brewing from extract for the last couple of years and finally got a chest freezer so I can make lagers.

My first batch:

3 lbs. extra light DME
3 lbs. clover honey
2 oz. cascade hops

Simple.

I used Wyeast American Lager liquid yeast.

OG was 1.039 (which was lower than my target)
It's been fermenting for at least 4 weeks (at 55 degrees F), and has been showing signs of fermentation so I took a sample.
Specific gravity is only 1.026
Is this normal? How long will it take my lager to completely ferment, or is something amiss?

Thanks

How much yeast did you use? To ferement in the 50's you need a good pitch of yeast. The other thing is 50% of your fermentables is honey. There's not a lot of nutrients in honey for the yeast. Right now I'd say your path of least resistance is to bump up the temps to at least 60.

If that generates some activity, ride it out and see where it gets you. You should be looking at a 1.008 final gravity at the minimum. You ultimately may have to add some more yeast and nutrients.

How much yeast did you use? To ferement in the 50's you need a good pitch of yeast. The other thing is 50% of your fermentables is honey. There's not a lot of nutrients in honey for the yeast. Right now I'd say your path of least resistance is to bump up the temps to at least 60.

If that generates some activity, ride it out and see where it gets you. You should be looking at a 1.008 final gravity at the minimum. You ultimately may have to add some more yeast and nutrients.

.008 is a bit low expect with extract.

.008 is a bit low expect with extract.

It was 3 pounds of extract. For a 5 gallon batch that would yield a 1.022 O.G. On the conservative side I'll figure 73% ADF which would result in a 1.006 finishing gravity. Tack on the 3 lbs of honey which is mostly sugar so shouldn't add much to the final gravity. But hey, we'll say 2 points. So I figured 1.008 give or take.

I pitched one vial of yeast. I didn't know that you might need more when lagering. The recipe is from the book "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and says to expect a final gravity of 1.004 - 1.008 because of the large amount of honey. I guess I'll up the temp. to about 60. Will that give the beer any off flavors? I know when I've femented an ale at too high of a temp. it screwed up the flavor a little.

I wouldn't hesitate taking it to 65 degrees if that would get it going. I've got a lager going right now fermenting at 60-62 just to see if there is a huge difference in one fermented at 50.

Is this the Rocky Raccoon Honey lager or something like that? I don't have the book in front me.

Yes it is. With a 1/2 lb more honey and 1/2 lb less extract because that's the only amounts I could buy it in. Thanks for the advice. Hope it starts going because it's tying up the fermenter!

It was 3 pounds of extract. For a 5 gallon batch that would yield a 1.022 O.G. On the conservative side I'll figure 73% ADF which would result in a 1.006 finishing gravity. Tack on the 3 lbs of honey which is mostly sugar so shouldn't add much to the final gravity. But hey, we'll say 2 points. So I figured 1.008 give or take.

When I was using liquid yeast I was typically getting 65% attenuation even using stir starters.

another route is to pitch another yeast vial, as you should have done 2 vials and/or a huge starter from one to begin with.

look at mrmalty.com for yeast count info

Back