First attempt at cider. REALLY high OG :S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
So, just brewed for a bit of fun. OG was 1.132, added more juice and it's down to 1.125, I'm a bit nervous it's gonna be waaaay to much.

Here's the recipe;
.660Gal apple juice-bottle
.130Gal apple juice-fresh
26.4oz table sugar
1/2 pack EC-1118
4 x vanilla beans
2TBSP rolled oats
40g raisins

Boiled, infused for 5 mins off heat, chilled and pitched rehydrated yeast. Put it in a barrel to ferment out. A bit of an experimental brew, not TOO concerned if it fails.

My concern is this will end up way to sweet or end up undrinkable strong and that when bottled, bottle bombs will occur.

Thoughts?

With EC 1118 and such a high OG, it is going to take a bit of aging to mellow. It is probably going to taste like hooch for a while!

With EC 1118 and such a high OG, it is going to take a bit of aging to mellow. It is probably going to taste like hooch for a while!

Haha, that's not a problem. What about bottling? As per beer, ie. prime and bottle once fermentation is done?

Haha, that's not a problem. What about bottling? As per beer, ie. prime and bottle once fermentation is done?

Correct! As long as you haven't reached your yeasts alc tolerance it will prime just the same.

you can use any fermentable sugar to carb. Fresh juice will work but you may have to add a lot of it to get your desired carb level. I use corn sugar as it is far more predictable and easier to measure.

This turned out AWESOME! Fermentation stalled at 11.3%, and I just bottled without any priming sugar. 3 weeks later, it's delicious and just a little over-carbonated!

Latest posts

Back