First and second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valley Brewer

Reaction score
I made this first extract brew with friends while watching a Redsox game and only a very basic knowledge of the brewing process. Basically we talked to the owner of a local brew shop for about 45 minutes, bought a kit, read the instruction manual that was supplied with the brew kit and recipe kit, then brewed. After putting the beer in the primary, I began reading up on the process...yeah, kind of backwards....

A month and a week has gone by we've been cracking a few. We mostly racked them in 1 liter bottles, along with seven 12oz "recycled" Newport Storm RI Blueberry bottles.

After a week in the primary, a week in the secondary and two plus weeks in the bottles they are extremely low in carbonation and some of the 12oz bottles have a black disk like growth floating around in them about the size of a dime.....we've been avoiding those! The beer is flat but they still taste good cold!

A few mishaps that went on during this brew:

We used a wooden spoon and continued to use the same spoon when we tried to cool the wort in a ice bath in my kitchen sink.

We added all the hops, 1oz of Willamette into the boil. The recipe called for 1/2 oz bittering for the boil and 1/2 for the aroma or last minute.

The temperature of the "cooled" wort wasn't taken, we just reduced the temperature until it felt lukewarm....yeah... we were sticking our fingers in it.

We never took an original gravity reading or proofed the yeast.

The yeast was fine and it had a pretty violent fermentation for a couple days then died down but lasted 3 or so more days. The beer stayed at a pretty constant 72-74.

Siphoned into carboy and stayed in there for another week.

Bottled in ten 1 liter bottles and the rest in the obviously not completely sanitized Newport Storm bottles. The have been sitting for 2 weeks and still aren't carbonated but taste good cold, but could be so much better carbed....I have no idea about the taste of the 12 oz.

Anyway.....if you are still reading this...Thanks to this forum and others, a "practice" run with the Golden Ale kit and maybe a little insanity I now know a bit more and am ready to rack a Honey Blond Ale partial grain kit.

During this second brew, sanitation was of extreme importance. The recipe and correct procedures were followed throughout the entire process.

Original gravity read 1.042, final was 1.013 and fermentation was violent.

Today, I had a used 5 gallon ball lock corney, a shiny 5# Co2 tank, brand new 2 stage regulator and in and out quick connect lines with picnic tap show up at my front door....just in time for my second brew to be racked.

The brew is in the corney at 30 psi at about 37 degrees. I plan on leaving it at 30 for 60 hours which is almost perfect timing for the SOX this weekend!

Comments and suggestions???????

Did you use a priming solution when you bottled the first batch? Most batches take about 2 to 3 weeks to carbonate, maybe they just need more time.
I would not leave the beer at 30psi for longer than 48 hours, if you do you run the risk of overcarbonating the beer.

Yes. We used 5oz of Dextrose and prepared as directed. I bought Grolsh style bottles that I suspect weren't air tight enough. The 12 oz bottles have a little more carb but they obviously weren't sanitized well.

Iordz -

What do you recommend for a quick(er) carb? It seems the consensus on this board is 30psi for 60 hours or serving psi for weeks. I would really like to serve this brew this weekend.

***EAC WARNING***

Not sure why it is bothering me, buttt...

racked means transfer. Not kegged, not bottled, not brewing.

rack:

to transfer, usually as in between the primary and secondary fermenter, or secondary fermenter and bottling bucket.

:D

Check out sections on kegging for faster carbing. 60 hours seems really fast. You may have bubbles, but not conditioning. (I bottle all mine)

Thanks

I thought "rack" meant to transfer to anything..ie rack (transfer) to keg.

I am completely new to this and have been lurking the kegging forum quite a bit. It seems that there are many members that follow the 30 psi for 60 hours. I'll report back when I'm done and pull the tap.

If my noobness bothers you....sorry.

By the way, what is "****EAC WARNING**** ?

LouisianaKid said:
extremely anal comment?

It is even better, my friend.

Look it up in the search.

Not so much that it bothers me as that I am helping you learn. I used a bunch of wrong verbage when I started. Post coffee, I won't even remember it. And yes, rack to keg is appropriate.

Valley Brewer said:
Thanks

I thought "rack" meant to transfer to anything..ie rack (transfer) to keg.

I am completely new to this and have been lurking the kegging forum quite a bit. It seems that there are many members that follow the 30 psi for 60 hours. I'll report back when I'm done and pull the tap.

If my noobness bothers you....sorry.

By the way, what is "****EAC WARNING**** ?

Don't sweat being a noob; EAC means someone is about to go beer geek on you (take no offense).

My concerns with your initial post have mainly to do with cleaning and sanitation, but it looks like you know where you went wrong there.

Carbonation with priming sugar is an inexact method, sometimes the bottles will overcarb sometimes under. My question is, what temp did you leave the bottles at while they were carbing? If you put them in the fridge right away this could explain the lack of carbonation as the cold temps would stall the yeast.

As for kegging, the 30psi for 60 hours method works, but again, it will be an inexact amount of carbonation. Check out this carbonation chart to determine the right amount of pressure at each temperature for the desired level of carbonation. Then set your regulator to that pressure and leave your beer for a week; the results will be much better.

Out of curiosity, which homebrew shop are you going to?

TheJadedDog said:
Don't sweat being a noob; EAC means someone is about to go beer geek on you (take no offense).

My concerns with your initial post have mainly to do with cleaning and sanitation, but it looks like you know where you went wrong there.

Carbonation with priming sugar is an inexact method, sometimes the bottles will overcarb sometimes under. My question is, what temp did you leave the bottles at while they were carbing? If you put them in the fridge right away this could explain the lack of carbonation as the cold temps would stall the yeast.

As for kegging, the 30psi for 60 hours method works, but again, it will be an inexact amount of carbonation. Check out this carbonation chart to determine the right amount of pressure at each temperature for the desired level of carbonation. Then set your regulator to that pressure and leave your beer for a week; the results will be much better.

Out of curiosity, which homebrew shop are you going to?

No offense taken. After all, it seems my terminology was correct.

Yeah, sanitation was obviously an issue. I now know how important it is.

The bottles sat at about 74 degrees....some are still sitting there and aren't carbonated.

30psi....I'm just looking for something that will be drinkable for this weekend and read numerous posts here and on other boards regarding quick carbing. 30 psi for 60 hours seemed to be the consensus. I have no doubt that serving pressure or a little above for a couple or few weeks would be much better. My friends are a ittle impatient.

Ive been to Blackstone Brewery shop, The Hoppy Brewer, and Strange brew. Also ordered a bunch of stuff online. :mug:

Sounds like you're on the right track with the carbonation, not sure why they are undercarbed given that they were sitting at room temp.

I'm a huge fan of Blackstone Valley Brewing, pretty much the only place I shop these days.

TheJadedDog said:
Sounds like you're on the right track with the carbonation, not sure why they are undercarbed given that they were sitting at room temp.

I'm a huge fan of Blackstone Valley Brewing, pretty much the only place I shop these days.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it matters much.... but when I transferred to the secondary, I left a good 2 inches of beer above the sediment and did the same when racking from secondary to bottling bucket. Maybe I left all the yeast in the carboys?????

Hopefully kegging turns out better.....I slowly pulled the tap this morning on the keg (its been sitting for approx 20 hrs @30 psi at 36 degrees) and it already seems more carbonated than the bottles from my original batch...

BVB Seemed like the cleanest place out of the three I mentioned.

Back