First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
I completed my MT and now I am ready to jump in feet first in all grain brewing.

I need something fairly easy to boost my confidence.

..not really into wheat beers and I perfer Ales.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

:mug:
Beerloin

If it helps, I just completed my first all grain brew session on Sunday and I also went the non-complicated route and made a SMaSH beer (Single Malt and Single Hop). I chose 12lb's of Maris Otter and Golding hops (2oz at 60mins, 1oz at 15mins). Just for kicks, I took a shot-glass sample this morning and it's tasty! Nothing fancy obviously, but something basic to put on tap while I probably brew another SMaSH in a week or two and re-use the yeast cake.

This was my first All Grain beer, it went over very well.

I have a question....

the link says "every BMC drinker in the room enjoying homebrew"...

i hate BMC..

does this taste like BMC? the color looks pretty similar...

if not, what can I compare it to?

thanks again!

It doesn't taste like BMC, it actually has flavor and body to it. I did brew it for my BMC friends. It is low in hops and has a sweetness added to it by the flaked maize. It is a great lawnmower beer, when you want something quick, light and refreshing.

It's on the light side for homebrew. But still plenty of flavor.

Ed's Pale Ale gets props by many. I have not brewed it yet, but it has a good following.

I mean, there are tons of recipes to try. Grab a popular one and get started!!

I did the haus pale ale for my 2nd AG batch. I modified the hop additions and added Simcoe as well as Cascase, cause I had a bunch of both.

I force carbed it last week and opened the tap Sunday afternoon... Its Tuesday and there is only about 1/4 of the keg left. There were only 3 people around drinking it - if that tells you anything. By far the best beer I have made so far.

I did the haus pale ale for my 2nd AG batch. I modified the hop additions and added Simcoe as well as Cascase, cause I had a bunch of both.

I force carbed it last week and opened the tap Sunday afternoon... Its Tuesday and there is only about 1/4 of the keg left. There were only 3 people around drinking it - if that tells you anything. By far the best beer I have made so far.

the haus pale ale sounds pretty good....

i think we have a winner!!!

thanks for the suggestions everyone! (and to BrewSpook for the haus ale suggestion!)

That recipe IS good!

But keep in mind that in AG, no recipe is really "harder" than any other, as long as it's a single infusion mash. You don't want a ton of adjuncts, but any other recipe will do. All the grains go into the mash, so it doesn't make it any harder if you have different specialty grains, too. So, if you want to make the pale ale, then by all means do it. But if you want to make something totally different (a stout, porter, etc), then you could easily do that just as well.

Was just going to post what Yooper did.

Once you have a bag of grains you do the same whether its 12 lbs of MO or 1lb each 2row, Pils, MO, Ashburne, Maize, 6 row, Vienna, Munich, Munich 20L, and Crystal 40.

I procured my grain, hops, and yeast yesterday and I am going to make the jump on Friday night.

Can anyone offer suggestions on water volumes / temperatures for the strike water and sparge (plan on batch) ? 5 gallon batch - 90 minute boil

Took this from the EdWort collection:
11# Pale
1# Munich
12 oz. Crystal 60L

Single Infusion for 90 minutes at 154 degrees.

O.G. 1.065
F.G. 1.016

thanks again!

Back