First all grain stout recipe- thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshbhs04

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First all grain stout, let me know what you think.

14# marris otter
1.5# flaked oat
1.5# crystal 80
12 oz choco
12 oz roasted barley
8 oz black patent
2 oz chinhook at 60
2 oz goldings at 45
wlp007

Looks very tasty. I love stouts. One suggestion. Try replacing black patent with Briess Midnight Wheat.
I have done this twice and have loved the results.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Dark_Roasted.htm#Midnight

Nothing wrong with black patent. I like it in moderation. Too much and you get an ashy taste though.
I have made a recipe with black patent and the same one subbed with Midnight Wheat. Both recipes I had roasted barely in. I felt that the one with midnight wheat was more complex. I think the black patent hid some stuff. With that great marries otter... it would be fun to see some of it shine through.

But... if you were to do the recipe as is, I think it would be a winner. IMHO

I have never used wlp007. I have used WLP002...they say they are similar. I though it was good.
For a lot of my stouts I use WLP004 it is great, but you have to watch the dactyl. I tend to ferment on the low side of the temperature range to make sure it doesn't go crazy.

Looks very tasty. I love stouts. One suggestion. Try replacing black patent with Briess Midnight Wheat.
I have done this twice and have loved the results.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Dark_Roasted.htm#Midnight

Nothing wrong with black patent. I like it in moderation. Too much and you get an ashy taste though.
I have made a recipe with black patent and the same one subbed with Midnight Wheat. Both recipes I had roasted barely in. I felt that the one with midnight wheat was more complex. I think the black patent hid some stuff. With that great marries otter... it would be fun to see some of it shine through.

But... if you were to do the recipe as is, I think it would be a winner. IMHO

I have never used wlp007. I have used WLP002...they say they are similar. I though it was good.
For a lot of my stouts I use WLP004 it is great, but you have to watch the dactyl. I tend to ferment on the low side of the temperature range to make sure it doesn't go crazy.

Didnt even think of midnight wheat.. thanks for the idea, time to ponder some more haha.

Sounds great... You'll have to report back here in a few weeks with an update and let us know if I gave you bad advice. Ha! Bet it will be tasty.

Back