First All Grain/PumpKING attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsPAbeer

Reaction score
Well here it is, I just finished...kinda (wort is cooling). My first all grain and third beer overall. I had a brain fart, and got all screwed up with my mash, I should have mashed in the pumpkin but for some reason i got confused and didnt. So I decided to dump the pumpkin in the boil kettle, after mash out and during the sparge. Since it was already roasted i let it sit until the wort reached the boil, then i basically scooped the big chunks out and continued with the boil. Let me tell you, the aromas were amazing. Ill post a few pics in a little.

Thoughts?

Date: 9/17/2012
Brewer: R. McCarney
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) -

Ingredients

4lbs Fruit - Pumpkin (0.0 SRM)
2lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
10lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)
1.5lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
1lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)
1oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min
.5 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Ground Cinnamon (Boil 5.0 mins)
Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 mins)
Clove (Boil 5.0 mins)
English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml]

Vanilla Extract (Bottling 5.0 mins) (Secondary)

Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.078 Measured Original Gravity: 1.064 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.022
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %

Mash Profile Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body,
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 8.0 oz
Batch Sparge Sparge Water: 3.21 gal
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F

Mash Steps
Temperature Mash In Add 23.13 qt of water at 170.1 F
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 3.39gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about

Lots of people put the pumpkin into the kettle. After you bake it of course. The reason that putting it in the mash tun is likely easier is because the enormous amount of trub generated when putting it directly to kettle.

Congrats on the brew though! I'll be making my pumpkin ale next weekend.

OK so my Measured OG ended up 1.064 which is a little lower than i expected as per BeerSmith but Ill take it. I ended up using the beer fridge out back to chill the wort...in the freezer...and it took forever, I really need an immersion chiller. Pic one is my setup and the second is the wort near the end of the boil

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

Back