First All Grain Procedure Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
This is the Good Measure recipe from BYO may-june. I had to change a couple things do to availability. I have plugged this into Beersmith with a profile of a keggle and a 5g cooler tun. I think I have it set right but I'm not sure... My main concern is procedural but I posted the adapted recipe below as well.

Recipe:

6lb Pale Malt
6lb White Wheat Malt
1 oz Fuggle @ 60min
.25 oz Centennial 0min

WLP 029 Kolsch (he used nottingham but I would like to use this cake for edworts oktoberfest and I think Kolsch yeast works for a american wheat.)

Secondary 4lb Rasberries & 4-8 Jalapeños

Instructions:
Mash = 4.69g
Sparge = 6.7
Est pre boil is 8.76g
assuming 1.25g below the valve
the evaporation rate is at 22.8% which seems really high... maybe that is the problem?
Aiming for 5.25 in fermenter
Mash in 15qt of water at 165.2F for a steep temp of 154F for 60 minutes.

Batch Sparge with 5 steps (Drain Mash Tun, 1.67 gal, 1.67 gal, 1.67 gal, 1.67) of 168F water.

Does these instructions look right? It is also the first time I have used the keggle as a BK so I am not sure how different the boil off rate is from beersmith.

It looks right to me, but 2.06x3= 6.18 Plus the Original Mash?....that seems like a lot of extra water....unless your saying 2.06 assumed from mash plus 2 sparges of 2.06 each which does seem about right. That seems pretty close to how my first grain batch yesterday worked out. Of course I am thinking 6.5 pre boil but you may be talking 10 here so then yes.
Sounds pretty good though, I am not a huge raspberry guy but the Jalapenos may have just won me over...lol.

My keggle has a "dead space below the valve of 1.5g so I think that is part of the beersmith volumes. This is a 5g batch though. I just looked over the numbers again on beersmith and adjusted a few things. Ill edit OP in a sec.

Back