First all grain in the books!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
Hi all did my first all grain brew to day and I'm wandering how to calculate my efficiency . Any one know a good calculator ?

Hi all did my first all grain brew to day and I'm wandering how to calculate my efficiency . Any one know a good calculator ?

Which efficiency are you interested in knowing?

Conversion efficiency: Percentage of potential sugar in the grain actually generated by your mash process.

Lauter efficiency: Percentage of sugar generated in mash that makes it into the boil kettle.

Mash efficiency: Percentage of potential sugar in the grain that makes it into the boil kettle.

Brewhouse efficiency; Percentage of potential sugar in the grain that makes it into your fermenter.

To calculate all of these you need to know:
  • Your grain bill
  • Volume of strike water and first runnings specific gravity (SG)
  • Pre-boil volume and pre-boil specific gravity (SG)
  • Volume into fermenter and specific gravity into fermenter (Original Gravity - OG)
You can do the calculations yourself, or use on-line calculators or brewing software, but you need the same data whichever way you go.

Brew on :mug:

Back