first all grain couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfighter04

Reaction score
This probably seems repetitive but I'm still confused. I'm sure all you long time brewers will wonder why noobs seem to keep asking the same questions, so sorry in advance.

1. I've got a 6gal BK but I want to get a 5 gal fermentation going. I'm way too close for a 60minute boil to get it all in 1 pot. Can I pull 2 gal out of the 6.5 Preboil volume and put it into a second bk? If I do that, and run my hop additions into the larger volume pot, will it affect the final quality? Is the boil time completely based on the hop schedule? so in the other smaller volume pot, does it have to be boiled the same length of time. I would think a shorter time would be ok.

2. Mash Tun. I'm putting together my 10Gal igloo cooler for a mash tun. this question is in regards to sparging. I set my volume of around 1-1.5qts x the lbs of the grain bill, then is my sparge volume my pre-boil volume - the dough in volume? and this may seem like the dumb part of my question, but never having seen the process; Do I remove the dough in volume of water to the Bk, and then sparge into Tun with the wet grains? or does the sparge water get added to the original volume of water already in the Tun.

Thanks.

1. You probably won't get the exact same isomerization of hop oils if it's seperate but it will be fine enough, what a PITA though?

2. This is better answered by Palmer, Chapter 7, http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html
maybe even chapter 6 or more, too much info goes into this to put it all down here.

Keep on brewing my friend.:mug:

Latest posts

Back