First all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashburn66

Reaction score
Hello all.

So about 3 1/2 weeks ago i did my first all grain batch of beer. Lots of things i learned while doing this but at least now i have an idea of what to do better next time. I did a pliney the elder clone recipe which when i kegged it turned out pretty much spot on with my readings i took. If anything it may be a bit higher abv wise.

After i got it kegged i tasted a little bit. It has the aroma spot on of an ipa for sure. I have never tasted a flat ipa before so dont know if its spot on on the flavor. But it made me look through my notes on brew day and i really didnt think much of it at first but now wonder if i may have contaminated my beer.

Before i brewed it i had made a hop spider with a pvc reducer and some threaded rod i got. I saw it somewhere on here. When brewing i didnt realize but the steam melted/warped it and it drooped into the wort while boiling. Part of it even slipped into the pot while it was boiling. I fished it out as soon as i realized it. I dont recall how long it was in the wort for though.

Do u guys think it will be safe to drink or should i chuck it up to a lesson learned and start over.

Thanks.

So, did you taste something "off" that's bothering you?

I wouldn't worry about a bit of dunking/dripping from a PVC collar, that's likely happened to everyone that made the mistake of building a hop spider using PVC.
Sounds like you got to it fairly quickly, and given the exposure we all have to PVCs a little bit more ain't gonna grow you a third eye ;)

Cheers!

heres a pic of it before it fell in. you could see it was touching the boiling wort... again i dont recall how long it was like this as i was going back and fourth cleaning and sanitizing equipment at the same time.

Im not really sure if it tasted off or not, I haven't tasted a home made ipa before. or pvc lol. I thought it tasted fine tell you the truth, I just got worried when i remembered that had happend with the hop spider.

image1.jpeg

I'd say you're probably okay to let it ride. One cheap fix to this PVC issue is to use a collar for a garbage disposal. They are SS and pretty cheap to buy. Only thing you'll have to do is drill the holes for the SS bolts and you're good to go.

No epoxy what so ever just a white 3" to 2 " pvc reducer found in Home depot with some threaded bar stock and nuts holding it together and a couple of zip ties holding cheese cloth with the hops.

Ive deffinetly tossed the hop spider since. I found a stainless one at a local home brew store for $36 that I will be getting for my next batch I do.

lol I was just a little paranoid after reading some things about how bad pvc is. I guess they mean if you melt the whole thing into it and let it sit at the bottom for the whole boil process.

Some people are paranoid about plastics leaching chemicals..... I wouldn't worry about it unless the pvc melted enough to actually run, not just bend.

Back