First All grain batch, too much grain in fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I made my first all grain batch and it went ok. I had a stuck sparge so I had to remove the thick grain puch around my bazooka screen and It got stuck a few time (I think I opened the valve way to high but that's another story).

Now the beer is in the fermentor and I took a sample to check gravity and taste and in my mouth there was a lot of grain particles. Probably due to my stuck sparge and by moving the grain bed a lot if got through my filter.

1. Will it settle at the bottom of my fermenter? (I usually cold crash at 4c my beer when done fermenting).

2. Will it impact any flavors to the beer?

3. Anything bad about it?

Thank!

I made my first all grain batch and it went ok. I had a stuck sparge so I had to remove the thick grain puch around my bazooka screen and It got stuck a few time (I think I opened the valve way to high but that's another story).

Now the beer is in the fermentor and I took a sample to check gravity and taste and in my mouth there was a lot of grain particles. Probably due to my stuck sparge and by moving the grain bed a lot if got through my filter.

1. Will it settle at the bottom of my fermenter? (I usually cold crash at 4c my beer when done fermenting).

2. Will it impact any flavors to the beer?

3. Anything bad about it?

It will be beer!

It should also settle out, no issue there. Any potential negative flavor impacts from the grain probably already took place during the boil. I'd just let it ferment out normally now, not much you can do about it.

This happened because you disturbed the grain bed. When I get a stuck sparge, I usually will re louder and start over. That is if there is enough water left. It will settle out. You can even let it sit an hour or so before boiling and a lot will settle out.
I get my starter wort from an extra gallon I flush threw the tun when I'm done, and I just dump it into a bucket. It gets lots of grain matter in it. I let it sit on the counter till I'm done brewing, then transfer to my boiler to boil down to a good starter gravity. By that time most, if not all grain trub has settled out. Then I store for next brew.
Sorry, got on a rant about something else, but it's just an example how fast it will settle out.

Thanks, glad to know it will settle out cause it was really crowded of grain and very small particles almost like flour. (I would have been surprised if it didn't but I wanted to make sure).

Yeah I should have dumped the water back in my mash tun, vorlauf and start again. But it was my first and I had couple of things not going very well that I didn't think about it.

Was also wondering, I use a bazooka filter and I realized the holes are not that small (it's small but, the starch and very fine particles can go through). Should I use something else?

Does the Grain bed really filter all these when you sparge correctly?

Was also wondering, I use a bazooka filter and I realized the holes are not that small (it's small but, the starch and very fine particles can go through). Should I use something else?

Does the Grain bed really filter all these when you sparge correctly?

Yes it is a great filter. Your initial filter realy only needs to be fine enough to not let whole grain threw, to start the process. The best way is to recirculate the wort during mash, it gets it crystal clear.

Back