First All Grain batch tasted too thin and not flavorful??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICK_M

Reaction score
So I just did my first all grain batch of an American IPA and I have some questions, here is my recipe:

Single infusion method
Using a bayou classic 10 gallon lauter tun with false bottom
6 gallons

Deschutes IPA clone

2-Row 12 lbs.
CaraMunich II 17.65 oz.
Caramel/Crystal 60L 11.84oz.
Wheat (Germany) 8.8 oz

Nugget 0.5oz @60 min.
Simcoe 1.1oz @15 min.
Citra 1.1oz @15 min.
Citra 1.1oz @0 min. (Flameout)
Citra 1.7oz Dry hop for 5 days

Wyeast American Ale 1054

-Strike water @170 F
-Mashed @140 F For 60 min. then Attempted to mash @155 F for last 30 mins by heating the mash at 150 F.
-Temperature was ~158 F for this period of time
-Vorlaufed and lautered ~3 gallons
-Sparge water 3 gallons @170 F
-Collected ~5 gallons

OG: 1.070 (Target: 1.062) @60 F

Ok so now its been fermenting for 6 days now so I took a hydrometer reading. It read at 1.012 so I dry hopped then tasted the sample I had taken.

Here's my questions: the sample tasted thin and bitter with no noticeable hop flavor. 1. Is my beer too thin because I mashed too long at ~140? 2. Why is there no noticeable hop flavor and how to fix it next time? 3. Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm sure it's thin because you mashed way too low. By the time you raised the temp to 158, the mash was done. There is not reason the do a multi temp mash with that grain bill. I do my pale ales at 150-152 and they are great.

Could be water related...
Where do you get your waterwater? do you know what the analysis is? You may need to adjust your water profile for hoppy beers.

-Strike water @170 F
-Mashed @140 F For 60 min. then Attempted to mash @155 F for last 30 mins by heating the mash at 150 F.
This has me wondering if this is a typo. Did you mash in with 170 strike water that then rested at 140? This is a 30 degree drop from the grains. I mashed today with 160 deg water and when I mashed in it dropped to a 148 rest. I've done batches with grain bills as high as 28 lbs and didn't have a 30 degree drop.

If you mashed for 60 minutes at 140 then you will get something very fermentable and thin.

However, keep in mind, flat beer in the fermenter will be thinner than the finished carbonated beer. The carbonation and carbonic acid will change it considerably. Wait, let it finish, bottle or keg and check it when carbonated. It will be a very different beer.

I will have more body if you mash it >155F because there will be more unfermentable sugars being extracted.
But keep in mind though that you will have to use more barley when you use this if you want to maintain the same level of alcohol given everything you do on the next batch is the same.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new and I had the opposite problem on my first batch and did not get the ABV I was aiming for (OG 1.060 - FG 1.020, I was aiming for 1.010)

Back