First all grain batch is bubbling away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsfan62

Reaction score
Other than some miscalculations with sparge water volumes, it all went pretty smoothly. I brewed up a 4 1/2 gallon batch of spiced winter ale (a Northern Brewer kit...with a little extra ginger, cinnamon, and orange peel from my pantry). It tasted pretty yummy after the boil, so I'm pretty optimistic.

It's going to be a long month or so!

Congrats! I have the same recipe in my primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Congrats! First all grain is always very exciting (so is the 10th, for that matter).

We all have problems figuring the right sparge water volumes. Don't worry you'll get it dialed in.

Cheers:mug:

Well, I moved the beer to the secondary fermenter, and I must say things seem to be going pretty well. It's now registering a SG of 1.012 (OG 1.040). It tastes amazing--nice and spicy, good malt and hop flavor as well.

By my calculations, I may be able to enjoy a bottle by Christmas. :mug:

Congrats!! Not trying to take anything away from the extract brewers, we all have our own reasons for brewing, but welcome to real brewing!! :mug:

We all have problems figuring the right sparge water volumes. Don't worry you'll get it dialed in.

Funny thing about this is when I miscalculated my sparge water, it turned out to be a better beer, hahaha! Next batch when i hit my sparge volumes it was mediocre. All of the joys of being a homebrewer! :mug:

Back