First All Grain. 1 mistake what might my beer be like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alotsa

Reaction score
Not only was this my first all grain it was my first batch ever. With out going into to much detail i think the whole process went alright. Wort was sweet and sticky. The one mistake i made was when i was boiling the wort i forgot i had left a plate at the bottom of the pot when i was mashing (in the same pot). As a result when i boiled the wort instead of a smooth rolling boil the bubbles would accumulate under the vacuum that the plate was creating on the bottom and come shooting up in big large bubbles every now and then. Wondering what effects this would have on a home brews outcome any thoughts? I used the brown beer recpie in Palmers book.

Thanks
- Alotsa

I would say you are probably fine (assuming the plate didn't melt or something). Some of the best beers I've made came from the most screwed up brewing sessions. Congrats on taking the leap to all grain without ever doing an extract batch. I only did two before I went AG. Friends complain about the extra time and work but I look at it as therapy. I don't mind the work and if I do a decoction mash then that is even better! I've learned that as long as you keep things sanitary then it is pretty hard to screw up making beer. It's amazing that Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. can even sell the swill they produce onceyou realize how easy it is to make excellent beer.

the plate is just an oven safe platter, ceramic maybe... seemingly indestructible to survive that entire boil it would seem. I have even used it again but made sure to remove it before the boil.
I was more concerned about the strange boil the plate caused than the plate doing something to the beer.

RayInUT your words are reassuring and i hope your right. I think we have a similar view here, See when i started to read about brewing and the differences between all grain and extract i instantly related it to the way i love to cook. I want to do it all from scratch enjoy the longer process without cutting corners, being able to fine tune every little detail, stuff like that.

Any way I'm moments away from trying this first brew we will see how it goes.

As long as it was boiling, I'd venture to say that it will turn out just fine.

A few batches ago while doing an AG, I dropped a mostly full glass of home brewed Irish Stout into my Irish Red. The boil took the remaining lettering off my pint glass (it has been slowly coming off anyway), hopefully I won't grow a second head in the next couple years.

I wouldn't sweat it. As Charlie says, "don't worry, have a hombrew", just be careful not to drop it into your batch.

The only danger I could think of is if it were a 3rd-world plate with lead content.

So how was it? Did it taste like a plate or was it more like beer? :) Do you brew late at night? It looked like you last post was at 4 in the AM or something. I usually finish up my brew sessions around 2 or 3 am. I always sleep great after a late brew session.

Well glad to say it turned out really good! Am quite pleased especially sense its my first batch ever.

Honestly an unrealistic and small part of me was hoping i accidentally stumbled upon some super new way to brew by creating a vacuum at the bottom of the kettle to make some sort of super tasting beer.... ha.

Was thinking of making a new thread to get some trouble shooting advice as the only one thing that's bothering me about this brew is a co2 like smell, I say this because the smell was exactly the same as the smell that was coming out of the air lock in the fermenter (i cant be the only one that has stuck my nose over the air lock and take a sniff can I? lol,) what could be causing this? The smell does not seem to penetrate the taste at all, as in i can separate the two entirely it seems.

Lol well i do tend to brew late and i know what you mean man, once your finally done and you can just hit the couch and relax it feels great.

Well glad to say it turned out really good! Am quite pleased especially sense its my first batch ever.

Honestly an unrealistic and small part of me was hoping i accidentally stumbled upon some super new way to brew by creating a vacuum at the bottom of the kettle to make some sort of super tasting beer.... ha.

Was thinking of making a new thread to get some trouble shooting advice as the only one thing that's bothering me about this brew is a co2 like smell, I say this because the smell was exactly the same as the smell that was coming out of the air lock in the fermenter (i cant be the only one that has stuck my nose over the air lock and take a sniff can I? lol,) what could be causing this? The smell does not seem to penetrate the taste at all, as in i can separate the two entirely it seems.

Lol well i do tend to brew late and i know what you mean man, once your finally done and you can just hit the couch and relax it feels great.
Are you sure it's not the yeast you are smelling?

Latest posts

Back