First AG...scailing down with mixed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neoterics

Reaction score
So I went to my lhbs and I got a 5 gallon recipe for a clone I want to make. I want to only do 2.5 gallon batches because I am limited on my stove and I want to do a full boil. I forgot to tell them to separate the grains so I could scale it down so they are all mixed in 1 bag which equals 10 pounds of grain. Are these my options:

1) Just mash all of the 10 pounds grains and only collect 3.5-4 gallons of wort to boil off to 2.5? Will this effect the beer?

2) Mix up the grains well in the bag and just uses half of the grains which would be 5 pounds.

3) Other suggestions?

Thanks

No matter how you split it, you're end result will be two different batches...similar, but different. If that's not a big deal to you I'd shake the hell outta the grains to mix em and then split it in half.

If you really want the taste to be spot on what the clone is supposed to taste like, you gotta do the whole batch at once.

Personally, I'd go buy a turkey fryer kit and move up to 5 gallons.

This was post 333 for me...whoo hoo!

Can you collect the full amount of wort for the 5gal recipe? B/c then u could just mix that really well then boil 2 batches.

I'd just mix the grains really well and split them in half by weight. The two batches should be close enough. Otherwise, you can make the one clone and experiment with the other half :D

Back