First AG, instant mistake, hurry!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
I mashed in 10 degrees higher than I was supposed to. Was going for 158 to get 150 but read the thermometer wrong aand mashed in at 168! After 20 min with lid off it's down to 153. It's a cream ale, I purposely made something cheap and simple just in case I did screw up my first batch. Any suggestions on altering the mash the rest of the way!

If it's down to 153, just leave it and finish the mash or maybe wait until it gets to 150 then seal it up...probably not much more you can do. It'll probably turn out fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ride it out, you will be fine, it will still taste like beer. I made a dry stout a while ago and made a similar mistake but caught it and corrected as best I could and it came out fine.

sivdrinks said:
Thanks guys. Should I skip the ten minute mash out at 170?

No. Proceed as you would normally to rinse out all those nice fermentables. In the future if you do that again, just add a bit of cold water to bring you back to temp. It'll be fine though. Cheers

I agree with Wierdboy and beowulf here in that you probably will have a higher FG and more body than anticipated, but continue the process as if nothing happened. Stay the course. Your beer should be fine, albeit not your best, but that's what first batches are for! Learning! You'll be ok! Smile, and welcome to the great world of AG brewing.

This is frustrating! Overshot my water by at least a gallon. Doing BIAB full boil. Was using .125 gallons for absorption, that's too much. Live and learn. Now I have some starter wort I guess.

This is frustrating! Overshot my water by at least a gallon. Doing BIAB full boil. Was using .125 gallons for absorption, that's too much. Live and learn. Now I have some starter wort I guess.

There you go. I sometimes mash extra for that very purpose. Just dump it into an ice cream bucket and freeze it.

Bernie Brewer said:
There you go. I sometimes mash extra for that very purpose. Just dump it into an ice cream bucket and freeze it.

Can I just jar it and keep it in the fridge?

Only ended up with 3/4 growler worth of extra wort. Not sure what happened. I'm thinking I lost more than I thought to chilling? It was Northern Brewers Cream Ale kit, I added an extra pound of 2 row to make up for possible low efficiency. I started with 7.75 gallons, BIAB, no sparge.

i dont know dude. it pretty much sounds like the end of the world. you should PM me and i'll give you an address where you can send that 'failed' beer to. i'll ensure it gets disposed of.

I almost always purposely overshoot my strike temp and keep cool water on hand.

Back