First AG brew sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo220

Reaction score
I brewed A Mirror pond clone about 2 months ago, its been in the bottle for about 3 weeks. I opened one tonight and it is very sweet at the end. I mashed at 152 for 90 min. I pitched notty at 70 and fermented in primary for 2 weeks at 65. I dry hopped with pellets for 2 weeks in secondary at 65. I racked agin to clear hop particles for about a week. Bottles have been at 70 and are carbing up nicely. Anyone have any ideas why its sweet? Was 65 too cool to get attenuation? Any help would be great.
Thanks
Kyle:mug:

It probably has more to do with your grain bill/procedure/ingredients than your ferm temps or racking schedule.. What was your recipe? All grain? What was the grain bill and/or mashing procedure? We may be able to better answer your question with a little more information... Cheers

What was your final gravity reading? My first AG brew ended up being really sweet. Seems that my thermometer was off and mashed too high creating a lot of unfermentable sugars in the beer. My FG was 1.022 vs the 1.011 that I was shooting for. Bought a new/better thermometer and been hitting my FG since.

Back