First AG - Batch Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locham

Reaction score
Just bottled my first AG brew, following Jamil's Dry Stout (Cervesa de Malto Seca) recipe:

6.25# Pale Ale Crisp (69.4%)
1.75# Flaked Barley (19.4%)
1# Black Barley (11.1%)
1.8 oz East Kent Goldings (5.8%AAU), 60 min
US-05

Est OG: 1.032
Est SG: 1.042
Est FG: 1.008

Actual OG: 1.030
Actual SG: 1.042
Actual FG: 1.009

It was my first time using my 10 gallon Igloo cooler with an Adventures in Homebrewing false bottom.

I have a few procedure questions:

1) I'd heard/read that after reaching mash temperature (after my strike water, temp was a little low so I had to add some boiling water to bring it up to 150) to stir like crazy to ensure even heat distribution/avoid dough balls. Did that. But I also heard to stir every 15 minutes to re-distribute the heat around the MLT. I lost nearly a degree farenheit every time I took off the lid to stir - so after starting at 150, by the end of the hour of mashing, I was down to 147.7. Is it better to keep the heat constant and not stir, or stir and accept the relatively minor drop in overall heat?

2) The recipe called for a stepped temperature mash, but I didn't do this because I didn't think I could with an igloo MLT (I since learned that I was wrong about that - stiff mash at first, etc). What benefit would the lower temperature step have brought?

3) I fermented with my swamp cooler, and kept the temps between 65-68 for two weeks. During the third week, I slowly increased the temperature to 71, as per Jamil's instructions. On the last day, I thought I'd be home in time to bottle before the cooler heated up to 71, but I was wrong - it got up to 73. I'm guessing that this will have minor or negligible effect on the beer...but is that just hope talking?

I bottled to 2 volumes, and I'll wait 3 weeks before I think they're ready. I've heard that stouts can take up to 6-8 weeks to be fully carbed...but perhaps that's for export and imperial stouts, and not for something simple and basic like this dry stout?

Thanks for any help. I don't post often because I search for answers instead of posting!

Cheers!

:tank:

I use the same Igloo. Preheat the mash tun with a gallon of boiling water while you heat your strike water. Use Beersmith, Promash, etc. to calculate strike temp. Mash in, stir like crazy to hit temp, put the lid on and leave it. I lose less than a degree over an hour mash with that setup. Stirring every 15 minutes is unnecessary, IMO.

1. I stir it maybe once or twice. Just for something to do, but every 15 minutes is over kill.
2. Try the step mash next time and see if you notice a difference. Most folks say it isn't really needed.
3. Letting it get to 73 instead of 71 won't make any difference.
Waiting 3 weeks to drink is a good idea. But don't think you can't try one sooner.
That's a really good stout recipe I am sure it will be tasty.

1) I don't stir at all once I put the lid on the cooler. I've noticed no ill effects.
2) A single infusion mash is sufficient for most beer styles.
3) letting the beer get up to 73 after fermentation is complete is perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone. I'll quit with the mid-mash stirring next brew. Maybe it was something I read in Palmer...

I'll also take good notes on this stout and if/when I make it again, I'll do the step mash to see if I get better or different results. I'll have to take some good notes, and probably go through lots of samples to make that happen...bummer!

Cheers

Thanks everyone. I'll quit with the mid-mash stirring next brew. Maybe it was something I read in Palmer...

I'll also take good notes on this stout and if/when I make it again, I'll do the step mash to see if I get better or different results. I'll have to take some good notes, and probably go through lots of samples to make that happen...bummer!

Cheers

For some poorly insulated mash tuns, it helps. But Igloos tend to do a pretty good job if you leave the lid on. :ban:

Latest posts

Back