First AG batch, another diagnosis thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I recently (and finally!) got my first AG batch under my belt. I brewed a holiday saison and over all I am satisfied with how things went, but I am curious how to improve my efficiencies and wondering what I may have done incorrectly.

Overview:

Heated 5 gallons of strike water (distilled water, treated with 1tsp CaCl and 1tsp Gypsum) to 157F. Accidentally reached 165F so I added .5 gallon of room temp water to cool and regained target temp of 157F. Poured 5.5 gallons of 157F water into mash tun, stirred in grain (NAILED my target mash temp of 150F! Quite happy with that beginners luck :mug:) and let sit for 80 minutes (recipe says to go for 60 but I was trying to work in the lawn AND brew..next time its one or the other), stirring ~every 15-20 minutes, losing only 4F over the 80 minutes. Proceed with vorlauf and collect my first runnings (did not think to get OG of first runnings). I collected ~4 gallons of wort, then batch sparged with ~3 gallons of 160F distilled water (no salts) and let rest before second vorlauf and lautering. At this point I'm at ~6.5 gallons of wort, but unsure of my boil-off rate, I do a second sparge of 1 gallon (un-salted, distilled water) to get my pre-boil volume to ~7.3 gallons and proceed. (My pre-boil volume was 1.040)

The old burner I'm using is, well, old and inefficient so the 60 minute boil wasn't as vigorous as I wanted it to be so I ended up losing only a little over a gallon in the 60 minute boil (and through then entire brew process I used 2/3 tank of gas).

Boil, follow hop and spice schedule as directed and wind up with 6 gallons fermenter volume (5 was target). Final gravity is only 1.043. So, I'm wondering...Are my numbers low because my volume numbers were to high, and I didn't boil off enough volume? Also, my grain was milled and sat for 3 weeks before I had the chance to use it. Could that be the culprit? I know distilled water is not ideal, even with basic salt additions. Would RO + salts help me increase efficiencies next brew day?

Sorry for the long read, but I am eager to hear some feedback about my process as I am planning to get another batch going next weekend! Thanks again! :mug:

If your og was supposed to be 1.050 for 5 gallon, that gives you 250 gravity points (50 x 5). You ended with 1.043 for 6 gallons, which gives you 258 gravity points(43 x 6). Your efficiency is fine, next time just boil longer.

Distilled water and ro water are pretty much the same as far as I know.

I have grains milled at my lhbs three batches at a time and it might be three or four months before I use them. Never had an issue with that.

Just remember the important part of brewing as Denny Conn says, "If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong."

Not sure if the distilled water could effect it, I'm sure others will have an answer for you. Were you able to calculate your actual efficiency?

Edit, GaBrew types faster than me, but we're on the same page hear.
Here's a little trick someone here taught me after my first all grain batch when my gravity readings were off.

Pre-boil = 7.3g @ 1.040, or 40 gravity points. So 7.3 * 40 = 292 total gravity points. You haven't added or subtracted Any sugar (gravity), so your total points remain constant.
292 ÷ 6 = 48.7. So you should expect a gravity reading of 1.049. I am usually within a couple points of this, and your not far off, but a bit.

If your volumes are higher than anticipated, your gravity numbers will be low. Key reason to have some dry malt extract around in case you want to bump it toward the end of the boil. Based on the thread your recipe cam from, it doesn't look like you missed them much. For your first all grain batch, while being distracted, call it a win. Buy yourself a new burner to celebrate! 2/3 tank of propane in 1 batch is crazy.

Back