First AG...and first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CereousBrewer

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. Without it I wouldn't have been able to start brewing, let alone jump directly into all grain. Your posts, whether questions or answers have helped me immensely. Thank You!

I decided on the Patersbier from NB for my first batch since it looked like a great beer and was relatively simple. I brewed six days ago and everything went quite well, especially given it was my first brewing experience. My pre-boil gravity was a bit low (1.034) but I hit the anticipated OG of 1.047. If I did the calcs correctly I think my efficiency was about 73%, which is probably due to my grind. I'm using a century old, motorized grist mill that works great but I just need to get it dialed in a little better.

I only ended up with 4.5 gallons of wort in the primary (need to dial down that Hurricane); it started visibly fermenting after 18 hours and has now slowed considerably. If the gravity settles in, I'll probably transfer to a secondary on Saturday.

I live in Minnesota and the weather has not been conducive to outdoor brewing, but when we get a nice day I'm good to go for the second batch. Again, thanks to all the members of this group; it's made getting started a breeze.

Back