First 5 Gallon Batch- Gravity Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annapolisftw

Reaction score
I brewed my first 5 gallon batch after practicing with 1 gallon batches for a while. I used partial volume boiling with an extract kit.

1. My hydrometer said that my original gravity was 1.020-1.030 if memory serves well.
2. After a week of fermenting, my hydrometer said that it was 1.002-1.004.
3. After putting the hydrometer in plain water, the gravity reading was below 1.000.

There is obviously a problem with my hydrometer. Do I need a new one, or should I just factor in the amount that it is off?

It seems to be almost done after only a week. After another week in a secondary fermenter, will it be safe to bottle if I get the same reading?

Even at 1.030 at the high end it's around 3.5 ABV..what's its supposed to be according you your receipt?

Could also be that the top off water was not thoroughly mixed with the wort. Happens all the time. If you have exactly 5 gallons and you used all the extract that came with the kit, then the OG was whatever the recipe stated it should be

You have a 3 part question. First off, a new hydrometer will set you back less than $10. Go get one you can trust for measurement.

Second part, the FG on this batch isn't important for bottling. What is important is a steady reading over a period of time to be sure that the yeast are done. Bottling before they are done can lead to overcarbonation and possibly bottle bombs. Uncontained bottles till throw pieces of glass more than 30 feet when they blow (not a guess, measured).

Third part of you question is secondary. If you haven't already put the beer into secondary, don't. It isn't necessary except in special cases and introduces an opportunity for a stuck ferment or infection. If you have already moved it, leave it there longer than you planned. That will allow more yeast to settle there instead of in the bottom of every bottle. This settling will happen either in primary or secondary and it won't hurt your beer to leave it in primary for quite some time if you can be that patient.

Back