First 5 Gallon batch, come help the new dude!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maduke

Reaction score
This is a breakdown on my first larger scale extract brew, first time without a kit! I had wanted to originally make an IPA but the kit from Williams Brewing required the yeast to proof first and since time was running short on my weekend, decided to through together a Lager with a bit of a twist (that really means just mess around with it a bit).

Please provide any feedback you may have and feel free to sharpshoot me if I make some FNG mistakes or misuse terminology.

Ingredients:
8lb American Lager Malt extract
1lb Crystal Malt (crushed; 120 L)
1.75oz Sterling Hops (pellet)
.25oz Golding Hops (pellet)
11.5g Saflager yeast (W-34/70)

So I throw 5 gallons on and steep the Crystal Malt. I had intended to remove once getting to a boil but decided otherwise and left in for the duration of the boil. It was my first time using my 32 quart on a stovetop and it seemed to take entirely too long. Once getting to a boil, in went the LME and the Sterling and at the last 15 minutes threw the Golding in as well. I didn’t attempt to ‘proof’ the dry yeast, just pitched it at 80, using the wert cooler was awesome! My neighbors probably suspected I was up to no good with the hose run through the kitchen window with this huge brew kettle on the stove; like something out of Breaking Bad!
All is going well and with >24 hours I’m already seeing action in the airlock and don’t suspect I’ve ruined the batch by any measure but I’m now doubting my keeping the Crystal in for the whole boil (as well as the amount) and the liberal use of hops as well in a Lager. This is coupled by the fact that I have an INCREDIBLY green concoction in the primary! There were some laughable moments prepping the wert cooler (should’ve set it up outside, DUH!) as well as a very foolish compromise of the airlock due to overfilling, no contamination though).

I’ll be sure to post more as time goes on, but here are a few questions if you don’t mind:
1. My use of Crystal Malt for the total time in the boil vs just steeping
2. Is 2oz of hops too much for a Lager and the ratio of starting hops to finishing hops, 1.75 vs .25
3. Curious as to you opinions whether proofing the yeast is an important step and harvesting yeast from fermenters when done.
4. How often would you recommend checking the gravity?

I’ll be sure to keep up with how this batch is going.

Welcome.

Boiling a pound of crystal is unnecessary and potentially undesirable. Boiling grain can cause some astringency, but perhaps you are fine.

That's a lot of sterling for a relatively small beer, and a lot of c120. I'm not sure that's the route I'd go, but let us know how you like it.

When you add yeast to water, the goal is not so much to proof it as to rehydrate it. That's very important.

Don't check the gravity until you think the fermentation might be done. Keep it cool and give it a good long ride. :mug:

80 degrees is way to hot to pitch 34/70. This is a lager yeast and should be pitched at fermentation temperatures or slightly below around 45-52. it should also be fermented under 55 degrees.

Also you really need 2 packets of this yeast for a 5 gallon batch. check out www.mrmalty.com yeast calculator.

80 degrees is way to hot to pitch 34/70. This is a lager yeast and should be pitched at fermentation temperatures or slightly below around 45-52. it should also be fermented under 55 degrees.

Also you really need 2 packets of this yeast for a 5 gallon batch. check out www.mrmalty.com yeast calculator.

Ooff...I didn't catch that before.

Yeah, pitching lager yeast at 80ºF is not something you'll want to do again.

Well I maybe botched this entire batch by being too eager. Im stationed.out in the lovely Mojave desert and couldn't dream of hitting temperatures below 70 in the house.... Perhaps I can make room in the garage fridge.

Upon checking the airlock this morning, there was already a diminished level of activity as well. Would it possible to repitch the yeast and in an appropriate quantity?

at those temperatures the beer is probably almost done. i wouldnt bother putting any more money or effort into this batch. let it finish up and hope for the best.

I can imaging its going to be drinkable but i would be interested in hearing how 34/70 tastes fermented over 70 degrees, keep us posted.

Back