First 100% Brett Beer in planning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigLebrewsk1

Reaction score
Just ordered the goods but I am going an experimental route on this. Doing a 2 gallon extract batch 70% malt 30 % wheat. Splitting it into two 1 gallon glass jugs. Pitching half vial of Brett C. In both. 1 adding grape juice, the other apple juice, or possibly pear juice, going to ferment out and bottle.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a fun experiment. I'd be careful with the juice additions, especially the grape juice. Just make sure it's in balance with your base beer. I did a dark saison with concord grape juice once. It scored well in a club comp, but I could pick up the concord character big time. Others described it as pleasantly fruity, but to me it was downright jammy. I do tend to be my own worst critic though, and my point of view might have been tainted in that I knew there was concord grape juice in it.

i made both last night and left about two thirds of the jugs free for juice additions. I figure these could continue a few iterations on the same yeast cake. Maybe a mead, and another of something I brew next.

I've done a concord juice Saison recently and at first I didn't like it, then I liked it, then loved it, and now crave it.

half a white labs vial? You do know the pitiful cell count on their wild stuff right? that is going to be a ridiculous underpitch. They are not meant for enough for a primary ferment. Youll need to make a starter like a week ahead of time to account for bretts long growing phases

half a white labs vial? You do know the pitiful cell count on their wild stuff right? that is going to be a ridiculous underpitch. They are not meant for enough for a primary ferment. Youll need to make a starter like a week ahead of time to account for bretts long growing phases

Half vial per 1 gal growler. Maybe on the low side but I'm confident it will ferment.

Despite M00ps cynicism, there is a 1 inch foam layer in one of the jugs and about half inch in the other, 3 days in.

Don't expect tons of yeast flavor. My 100% Brett C tasted like a kolsch. Slightly fruity but that's about it. Good but wasn't as distinct as I hoped. Although maybe your lower pitch rate will help.

I really don't know what to expect. I'll dry hop with Citra and fruit juice has already been added.

image.jpg

Back