First 1 gallon batch, quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzaiger

Reaction score
So I have been extract brewing for about a year. Tonight when I left work, I thought I should try and do a 1 gallon honey brown ale. Well I steeped, and when I got to the boil and time to add the LME, like a moron, I added the entire can.. is this going to be an issue? Should I top off the fermenter to 2 gallons? I'm worried, haha. Thanks for the advice in advance.

How much where you supposed to add? Half? If so it's up to you. If you just top up to 1 gallon you will have twice as much ABV than if you topped up to two.

I'm sort of guessing the recipe only needed one-half the can of LME. You have a 2 gallons worth of fermentables in one gallon of wort. OG is double, but hop additions are right on for a one gallon batch.

Do you have extra hops? If you have the extra hops do the same hop addition boiled in one gallon of the wort. Top off your fermentor to two gallons. Add the same amount of honey if you have it.

You will end up with a two gallon batch of brown ale which will be slightly darker because one gallon was heated twice for hop oil extraction. Flavor difference may only be slight.

If you don't have the hops or honey put the wort in the refrigerator until you can get them.

Back