Firestone Walker Easy Jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on easy jack recipies?...I really like this beer good for the hot texas summer!!...Thanks

I gave it a shot. Wouldn't call it a clone- but inspired by easy jack (didn't exactly have all hops):

Batch size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.045
Efficiency: 72%

8 lbs pale malt (2-row). 82%
10 oz Munich malt 6%
6 oz c40L. 4+%
5 oz carapils. 3+%
5 oz wheat. 3+%
4 oz flaked oats. 1+%

WY1098 (British ale)

Hops: ALL AFTER BOIL

Motueka- .2 oz flameout
Citra- .125 oz at flameout
.125 oz whirlpool (170-180* for 10-15 min)
.25 oz whirlpool(155-170* for 10-15 min)
Mosaic- .25 oz flameout
.5 (170-180*)
.25 oz (155-170*)
Mandarina Bavaria- .5 oz (170-180*)
.5 oz (155-170*)
El dorado- same as Citra

Beersmith calculated roughly low-mid 40's IBUs

Smelled great. Chugging along good after 1 day

Plan on dry hopping with .5-1 oz mandarina Bavaria, maybe even touch of Citra and or el dorado

I gave it a shot. Wouldn't call it a clone- but inspired by easy jack (didn't exactly have all hops):

10 oz Munich malt 6%
6 oz c40L. 4+%
5 oz carapils. 3+%
5 oz wheat. 3+%
4 oz flaked oats. 1+%

WY1098 (British ale)

Hops: ALL AFTER BOIL

Motueka- .2 oz flameout
Citra- .125 oz at flameout
.125 oz whirlpool (170-180* for 10-15 min)
.25 oz whirlpool(155-170* for 10-15 min)
Mosaic- .25 oz flameout
.5 (170-180*)
.25 oz (155-170*)
Mandarina Bavaria- .5 oz (170-180*)
.5 oz (155-170*)
El dorado- same as Citra

Beersmith calculated roughly low-mid 40's IBUs

Smelled great. Chugging along good after 1 day

Plan on dry hopping with .5-1 oz mandarina Bavaria, maybe even touch of Citra and or el dorado

Great to see you make up a batch. Im hoping to take another stab at it within the next month. Havent been able to brew since the beginning of summer. Post back when you get to taste some. :mug:

Been drinking this for 2 weeks now. Came out really good (haven't done side by side comparison yet). It's amazing how the malt still comes through the strong hop flavor and aroma. I suppose because the bitterness is so clean and not abrasive with the 100% post boil hop addition. If I were to be hyper-critical, I probably would've changed 1 thing- I would put a small 60 minute addition of a neutral clean hop in order to get 10-15 IBUs. However that was a strong thought I had at first and as I've been drinking it, not quite sure.
This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable with tons of hop character without the bitterness. You expect that tongue scraping bitterness at the back end but it never comes. Very fruity, citrus, tropical smell and taste. Yeast throws some nice English accents. And lastly the malt- expecting to be overpowered, still comes through nicely with a clean sweetness, but remains crisp and not cloying. I love the fact that a made a pseudo-IPA and can drink more than 3 and not get sh*t faced! AND IT TASTES AWESOME!

I played with the carbonation on this a little (I keg). I shot the co2 a little higher than normal- maybe 2.6-2.7 instead of 2.5. the carbonic bite helped a little for that lack of bitterness bite- but still this beer came out really good

Any updates?
My LHBS got some Mandarina Bavaria and Heull Melon and I would really like to clone Easy Jack...

Great thread and I wanted to make a run at this recipe based on what others have tried to date. Any thoughts on the recipe below:

10 oz Munich malt 6%
6 oz c30L. 4+%
5 oz carapils. 3+%
5 oz malted wheat. 3+%
4 oz flaked oats. 1+%

WY1098 (British ale)

Hops:
30 Min
0.50 oz Hull Melon [7.0 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Pacifica(aka Pacific Hallertau) [5.5%] - Boil 30.0 min
Flameout
0.25 oz Hull Melon[7.0 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.25 oz Pacifica [5.5%] - Steep/Whirlpool
Whirlpool 170-180
0.25 oz Hull Melon[7.0 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.50 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

Whirlpool 155-170
0.50 oz Hull Melon[7.0 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.50 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
Dry Hop
0.50 oz Hull Melon[7.0 %] - Dry Hop Addition for 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Dry Hop Addition for 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop Addition for 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Pacifica [5.5%] - Dry Hop Addition for 7.0 Days

Also any good tips on Whirlpooling, I've never done it before. So I chill my wort to 180 and add that first batch of whirlpool hops. Then once it gets below 170 add the second. Once the wort gets below 155, turn on the chiller?

Im going to give this another shot either this weekend or next. Anyone done any attempts lately? I will be tweeking things and ill post my recipe once I get things where i want.

Im going to give this another shot either this weekend or next. Anyone done any attempts lately? I will be tweeking things and ill post my recipe once I get things where i want.

I brewed the above recipe last Friday. Hit all the numbers and the brew went great. I actually made a 10g batch and split it into 2 fermenters and used English yeast in one and CA ale yeast in the other.

I brewed the above recipe last Friday. Hit all the numbers and the brew went great. I actually made a 10g batch and split it into 2 fermenters and used English yeast in one and CA ale yeast in the other.

How'd color and stuff turn out?

I thought the color looked dead on. Their ingredients called for 35L and I could only find 30 and 40. So I used an equal amount of both. Think I should rack it to secondary before dry hopping?

How'd the English vs the California yeast compare?

Among the group we were 50/50 on which we liked better. The California was sweeter than the British yeast. I thought the CA one tasted more like Easy Jack. But also over the past 2.5 weeks the British one has changed quite a bit, in a good way. Seems like the flavors are coming out more.

I will say this recipe was good but it didn't have the aroma that Easy Jack has. So we added an ounce of Citra to the American Keg and that really added some aromas I was shooting for.

Subscribed. Love this beer. Let us know if u get any closer with this recipe! This ones been added to my brew list.

I have brewed easy jack clone and beer turned out amazingly awesome, was wondering if anyone fermented with another yeast, was thinking of ferment with belgian strain for a session belgian ipa

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm wondering if anyone had success with this. I love this beer and would love to hear how future attempts turned out.

Here is what I eventually did:

Recipe: Mandarin Melon APA
Brewer: CWP
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.05 l
Post Boil Volume: 11.18 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 l
Bottling Volume: 8.80 l
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.800 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Rahr) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 80.4 %
0.120 kg Munich Malt, Light (Weyermann) (6.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.4 %
0.100 kg Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
0.100 kg Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
0.060 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.7 %
0.060 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6 2.7 %
8.00 g Huell Melon [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.0 IBUs
8.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Boil 30.0 m Hop 8 11.2 IBUs
8.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.30 %] - Boil 30.0 m Hop 9 19.2 IBUs
0.84 g Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
8.00 g Huell Melon [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 11 1.9 IBUs
8.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 12 2.7 IBUs
8.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.30 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 13 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 14 -
8.00 g Huell Melon [5.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Huell Melon [5.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: 01b. Single Infusion BIAB, 150F, Full volume
Total Grain Weight: 2.240 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 15.12 l of water at 156.2 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Based somewhat on Firestone Walker Easy Jack clone recipes.

I fermented on the cold side, starting at 62F at pitching and allowing it to rise to 66F over the first five days. Finished up at 66F for 10 days before crash cooling at 42F.

I did a side-by-side tasting this last weekend and my comparison notes are as follows:

Aroma: a bit stronger in the clone, other than that, pretty close
Color: much too dark, I will probably switch the C-40 for C-20
Clarity: A bit more hazy than the original.
Malt flavor: clone has a touch more caramel presence, but pretty much there
Hop flavor: Needs a little more bitterness, maybe switch a couple of grams from whirlpool/steep to a 5 minute addition
Body: nailed it
Finish: pretty much nailed it, crisp dry finish with the need for a bit more hop bitterness.

Going to give this a shot this weekend. Here is what I'm going with.

Batch Size: 10 gal
Estimated ABV: 4.41
Estimated OG: 1.044
Estimated FG: 1.010
Estimated IBU: 50
Estimated SRM: 5.2
Estimated Mash Efficiency: 80
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
10 lbs Pale Malt – 2 Row
1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Oats, Flaked
1 lb Malted Wheat
1 oz New Zealand Hallertauer Boil 30 min
1 oz Hull Melon Boil 30 min
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria Boil 30 min
1 oz Mosaic Boil 30 min
.5 oz New Zealand Hallertauer Boil 0 min
.5 oz Hull Melon Boil 0 min
.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria Boil 0 min
.5 oz Mosaic Boil 0 min
1 oz New Zealand Hallertauer Dry Hop 7 Days
1 oz Hull Melon Boil Dry Hop 7 Days
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria Dry Hop 7 Days
1 oz Mosaic Dry Hop 7 Days

O.G: 1.042 (10.5-11P)
F.G: 1.007-1.008 (1.8-2.0P)
B.U: 45 IBU
ABV: 4.5%
Attenuation: 82%
Boil: 75 (min.)

Malts
6.5 lb. two row pale malt
0.5 lb. Munich malt 10L
0.5 lb. wheat malt
0.5 lb. light crystal
0.5 lb oats

Hops
0.5oz. German Magnum (14%) @ 60
0.5oz. Amarillo (9.2%) @ 10
0.5oz. Amarillo (9.2%) @ whirlpool
0.5oz. Simcoe (13%) @ whirlpool
1.5oz. Mandarina Bavaria (8.5%) (dry hop)
1.0oz. Huell Melon (7.2%) (dry hop)
0.5oz. Mosaic (12.25%) (dry hop at end of fermentation)

Yeast
Wyeast 1968 or WLP 002

This is the recipe from Jennifer Talley's "Session Beer" book. I remember reading an article when Easy Jack came out & Matt Brynildson said that Citra and a hop from New Zealand was used on the first batch of the beer brewed, & he had to trade Amarillo to get the hop, which I'm guessing was Nelson Sauvin. He said that the Citra & New Zealand hop played supporting roles. If I was to make the beer I would add a half ounce of each as part of the dry hop.

That's what she says Easy Jack is? Hm. If that's the case it doesn't really correlate with the below?

This is the recipe from Jennifer Talley's "Session Beer" book. I remember reading an article when Easy Jack came out & Matt Brynildson said that Citra and a hop from New Zealand was used on the first batch of the beer brewed, & he had to trade Amarillo to get the hop, which I'm guessing was Nelson Sauvin. He said that the Citra & New Zealand hop played supporting roles. If I was to make the beer I would add a half ounce of each as part of the dry hop.

Referring to this?: https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/firestone-walker-easy-jack-ipa-mandarina-hops-hallertau

"Mandarina is Easy Jack’s defining hop, while Brynildson calls Melon the “rhythm guitar.” But Firestone Walker always uses a variety of hops for depth and balance. American Mosaic, Citra, and Amarillo were procured fairly easily, but Brynildson also wanted to add Nelson hops from New Zealand, which are as scarce as the German newcomers. To get enough Nelson hops to fuel that first run of Easy Jack (well, almost fuel; the beer’s sales basically depleted the world supply, which also contributed to them having to halt production), the Paso Robles men had to trade an equal amount of Centennial and Amarillo to NZ’s 8 Wired Brewery."

Thanks, that was the article that I had read about easy jack. Jennifer Talley was given the recipes in the book from the brewers of the respective breweries, in this case Matt Brynildson. I don't think she altered the recipes except to scale them to a 5 gal. format. I looked at Firestone Walker's website & they now have the ingredients listed for Easy Jack, which they didn't the last time I looked, & they're different then the recipe I posted. I personally like the reciped I posted better for my personal tastes, but I would change the Munich dark to light Munich. I am guessing Firestone Walker has changed the recipe to match their hop contracts.
I have never tasted Easy Jack, unfortunately it's not distributed in Michigan, but I'm wondering if there is a difference between the first batch & the later batches?

With all these late additions and whirlpool hops, aka the so called “New England IPA” technique, doesn’t that process produce a hazy beer? FWEJ is clear as a bell...

With all these late additions and whirlpool hops, aka the so called “New England IPA” technique, doesn’t that process produce a hazy beer? FWEJ is clear as a bell...
Clearly old school ipa as EJ is. To make it more NEIPAs triple the wheat/oat combo. Ax the boiling hops. Quadruple the WP/DH. Finally use another yeast 1318 or Connan strain.

Clearly old school ipa as EJ is. To make it more NEIPAs triple the wheat/oat combo. Ax the boiling hops. Quadruple the WP/DH. Finally use another yeast 1318 or Connan strain.

If you’re trying for a clone, you wouldn’t want it to be hazy. Makes me wonder if maybe they are using distilled hop oils or some form of hop oil concentrate. Breweries are doing this now.

I brewed this a few years back and forgot about it. I can remember I liked it a lot.
I feel a re-brew coming on.....

Back