Firestone/Corny Post Work-Around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
To begin, I've had a Firestone model A keg sitting around for years without posts. All of my other kegs are set up for pin locks. My problem is that the posts/valves cost about $25 each from my LHBS. And then, they only have ball lock, so I would have to buy the fittings for my lines as well. So, we're talking $50+. This seemed a little outrageous...

Well, I've found a much cheaper way around this issue. The threads on my posts are 9/16"-18 and the threads for my hoses are 1/4" flare. Unfortunately, I couldn't find such a specialized fitting at Lowe's. I did, however, find a 9/16"-18 Tap.

I tapped the inside of a 5/8" brass flare fitting to the right threads and bought the various fittings to convert to 1/4". I didn't even need to drill it out first, the hole was already 33/64". I've (hopefully) included pictures below.

DSCF0439.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

The only obvious problem with this is that once the keg is hooked up, the only way to disconnect it is to relieve the pressure and use 1/4" flare pipe caps to close it off. Kind of a PITA, but this was much cheaper and worked in a pinch.

Materials List:
5/8" Flare X 1/2" MIP
1/2" FIP X 3/8" FIP
3/8" MIP X 1/4" Flare
9/16"-18 Tap
Teflon Tape

Smart idea. can you post a pic of it on the keg?

are all the threaded connections in your adapter going to cause excess foaming?

This is what they look like on the keg. It will be a few weeks until I know if they cause any foam issues--just brewed last night

DSCF0441.jpg

Back