Fios Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
My buddy just got it and said that the pic was great, even on standard tv.
Today I called just to get a price and I got Internet, TV, and Phone. Included in the tv is HBO and movies (apparently its a boatload, Encore, Showtime etc.) Sports Pack (dunno if I will keep it), whole house DVR and 3 standard boxes, free installation, and the free tv (magnavox or sharp) for 137.98.

Not a bad deal, only downside to this is that I have 3 HD tv's (20"x 2, 32" and a 50" plus what they are sending me) They do not have enough HD boxes to go around. They expect them to arrive sometime at the end of march. At that time, my bill will rise to 167.97 for the above w/ whole house dvr, 2 hd boxes and a standard box. No biggie.

My question is...Is this a big gamble to wait a month for HD when I already have it now w/ Comcast? Comcast has been good to me, but w/ my phone (not comcast) Internet and Cable I am saving 55.00 a month and that is great, but will I have a headache at the end of all of this?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

my wife and I have been debating whether or not to go with comcast, my parents have it and they always say how high the bill is ($200+ range) with all the bells and whistles....

I'm not sure if we can get FIOS out here, I know the selection was limited even around my parents... you probably aren't getting much response b/c (at least around here) not that many people can get it.

We really dislike our comcast, and have been thinking of getting rid of it, however losing HD for a month would really be disappointing. I really think its one of those things that once you have it, its very hard to get away from. I would probably hold onto comcast until you can get the HD with the FIOS.

andypantz13 said:
We really dislike our comcast, and have been thinking of getting rid of it, however losing HD for a month would really be disappointing. I really think its one of those things that once you have it, its very hard to get away from. I would probably hold onto comcast until you can get the HD with the FIOS.

I agree w/ you there. The upside is that there really isnt anything on until the end of March (the masters). The downside was that if I was to wait, i would lose the deals that I got (free tv/ best buy gift card), and the hbo and other movie channels

i have to check out my friend's and see how it looks

I have FiOS and love it. We only have 1 HDTV with a HD TiVo that I bought. The Verizon guys were competent enough to install the CableCards which was nice. For the Internet, 1 HDTV and 1 regular TV we're paying $10 less then when we were with Comcast.

Me and my roommate use mostly internet and basic cable. It'd have cost us $10 more a month to sign up for Fios instead of Comcast. The internet pipe was even the same size as with Comcast, so we stayed with them.

adx said:
I have FiOS and love it. We only have 1 HDTV with a HD TiVo that I bought. The Verizon guys were competent enough to install the CableCards which was nice. For the Internet, 1 HDTV and 1 regular TV we're paying $10 less then when we were with Comcast.

adx, let me ask you. do you have the standard box of your HD set or the HD box? Currently Fios in NJ is getting slammed and is WAY behind w/ HD boxes. They say I have to wait a month for the HD boxes. So I'd like to hear how the picture looks w/ the standard box.

Thanks

Before we bought the HDTV we had a regular TiVo connected to a 27" TV. When we bought the HDTV we switched to FiOS at the same time and tried their HD DVR. We had the HD DVR for about 3 days. We got so frustrated with it's crappy capacity and recording capabilities that we went and bought an HD TiVo. The picture quality of the HD DVR was great, but the DVR part sucked.

You'll definetly want an HD box. If they say they have to give you only a standard def box for a while tell them you aren't going to pay for it. There is no way in hell I'd pay for a regular box connected to an HDTV.

adx said:
Before we bought the HDTV we had a regular TiVo connected to a 27" TV. When we bought the HDTV we switched to FiOS at the same time and tried their HD DVR. We had the HD DVR for about 3 days. We got so frustrated with it's crappy capacity and recording capabilities that we went and bought an HD TiVo. The picture quality of the HD DVR was great, but the DVR part sucked.

You'll definetly want an HD box. If they say they have to give you only a standard def box for a while tell them you aren't going to pay for it. There is no way in hell I'd pay for a regular box connected to an HDTV.

Cool. I will do that tomorrow. Even if they give me the HD Home Media DVR, and 1 other, I'd be cool w/ that.

Latest posts

Back