Finishing a Flemish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
I have two Flemish Reds that I have been ageing in secondary now for over a year, and it's getting to the stage where I am looking at packaging them. I really want to keg them (knowing that traditionally they are bottle conditioned).

So a couple of questions as this is my first sour:

1. Should I crash cool first before kegging?

2. Do I just punch the siphon straight through the pellicle?

3. Would I be better off carbonating in the keg by adding a dose of sugar and some extra yeast, as opposed to just hooking it up to CO2?

Cheers!

I have two Flemish Reds that I have been ageing in secondary now for over a year, and it's getting to the stage where I am looking at packaging them. I really want to keg them (knowing that traditionally they are bottle conditioned).

So a couple of questions as this is my first sour:

1. Should I crash cool first before kegging?

2. Do I just punch the siphon straight through the pellicle?

3. Would I be better off carbonating in the keg by adding a dose of sugar and some extra yeast, as opposed to just hooking it up to CO2?

Cheers!
1. couldn't hurt. there might be some stuff in suspension that would fall with a few days of coldness.

2. yup.

3. i'm a big fan of bottle conditioning sours, but if you're going to keg then there isn't a huge advantage to priming, IMO... so i would just hit the CO2.

Back