Finings in fruit beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalf

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on whether gelatin finings remove fruit flavors in a fruit beer?

My typical process is to rack my beer over fruit for a week once fermentation is complete. I usually remove the fruit after a week or so and a few days before bottling. I am usually shooting for a strong fruit flavor. I start a fruit beer with anything from a wheat to a kolsch.

I would rather have a cloudy fruity beer over a clear beer where the fruit doesn't show up. But can I have a clear fruity beer?

You can add the gelatin. Professional winemakers use finings all the time, and they have to make a living off the stuff. I'm sure if it stripped away flavor is wouldn't he as popular to use.

I checked byo and you can use pectic enzyme in fermented beer. Most of fruit beer haze is pectin

Thanks. Some interesting reads on a peptic enzyme search. Might actually aid in releasing fruit flavors and clearing pectin haze. It will definitely be part of my next order.

Did you find the BYO article? One thing they suggested was adding it directly to the fruit before adding it to the beer.

Yeah saw that. I always add frozen fruit so I wouldn't get much on that end. From what I read pectic enzyme works best in medium/room temp ranges.

from what i've read, pectic enzyme works best before fermentation, but will continue to work (albiet at a slow pace) even after fermentation has completed.

I'm I'm splitting a batch into three.
(One third on red cherry, a third onto gold cherries, and one third plain)
Should I use gelatin before splitting it up, or fine each batch seperately after the fruit?

Back