Fining with gelatin properly - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
For my lagers, I use biofine clear and the gelatin method. With biofine I’ve read you mix it thoroughly in the secondary. The pros do this by inline dosaging. This makes sense - thoroughly blended fining will grab yeast uniformly through the beer. This is also the fining method for wine. I’ll call this the “thorough blend” method. I usually put half the dosage at the bottom of a secondary, and when it’s filled, I add the rest and then give a very gentle stir, I top off with CO2 and let it go to work.

I’m wondering if the gelatine fining should be similarly performed. I’ve always just stired it in gently at the top of my 50F chilled beer in the primary, with the assumption that as it falls down through the beer it will continue to flocculate the yeast. Because I’m still with the primary fermenter, I have a lot of dregs at the bottom and dont want to stir that up. This avoids having the extra effort of a bright tank secondary. However, I have no scientific reason for doing this “top stir” method. My concern with this top stir method is that maybe the top 5 inch layer of “concentrated” gelatin might simply flocculate the top five inches very well but then float down without significantly affecting the bottom 15 inches as much. Maybe the better method might be the thorough blend method, even with gelatin, into a secondary. Any thoughts?

Some people mix it and some don't. Eventually it is going to do the job anyway. Diffusion seems to take care of it even if most gelatin sits at the bottom/in one place. Might be more rapid if you can mix it (without extra oxygen etc).

I hate to stir finished beer or even open the lid. So pour gelatin in through the air lock hole using a funnel.

Might be a better way, like adding to the keg before kegging. But i don't bother

After fermentation chill your beer to below serving temperature. Soak the gelatin in cold water for 15 minutes. No need to stir. Heat mix to 150-170 to pasturiZe, do not boil. Pour in hot mixture to beer. If you have a keg, purge with co2. Let sit for several days before racking. It will be crystal clear.

If you don’t chill your beer before addition your beer will be hazy (chill haze) when served. Gl

Last edited:
I've only used gelatin twice so far, but for both beers I decided to not stir since I've read many say you don't need to and I wanted to avoid any possible oxidation as much as possible. Both beers came out crystal clear. One was an amber and the other a pilsner. Here's the pilsner below, so no you don't need to stir.

20190216_145419.jpg

Rev.

Latest posts

Back