Fining using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semco

Reaction score
So I’m using gelatin fining for the first time this week. I have some plain “Knox” gelatin from the grocery store. I’ve seen about 8000 different postings on using gelatin finings but the dosage amounts vary widely. Wondering what guys are using usually, I’ve seen as much as one Table spoon in a cup per 5gal to as little as 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gal...

In the end, I dont think itll matter as long as you use "enough". Too much wont hurt. I've used 1 tablespoon in the past just fine. The amount of water doesnt matter. You need enough to dissolve it until it's clear.

Put it first in cold water and let it congeal. Stir it. I microwave in 15 second bursts stirring every time. Keep stirring and reheating until it's over 150 degrees. It should turn completely clear after a while. Dump it in hot and agitate the keg. Let it settle and serve as normal.

If you use too much, itll just be more gelatin in the bottom of the keg.

Put it first in cold water and let it congeal. Stir it. I microwave in 15 second bursts stirring every time. Keep stirring and reheating until it's over 150 degrees. It should turn completely clear after a while. Dump it in hot and agitate the keg. Let it settle and serve as normal.

If you use too much, itll just be more gelatin in the bottom of the keg.

I do the exact same thing when i add gelatin

fyi- to all botters- You can also use gelatin. Back when I was bottling, I'd add my water/gelatin solution and my priming sugar into the bottling bucket.

It clears the beer as well as really packs down the fine lees in bottom of bottle. Makes the lees very compact and wouldn't sir up the lees in solution when handling bottles.

So I’m using gelatin fining for the first time this week. I have some plain “Knox” gelatin from the grocery store. I’ve seen about 8000 different postings on using gelatin finings but the dosage amounts vary widely. Wondering what guys are using usually, I’ve seen as much as one Table spoon in a cup per 5gal to as little as 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gal...

I’ve used the following for all my beers and have been very happy with results each and every time:

I use ratio of 1:2 where 1 gram of gelatin equals 2 oz water per gallon. So for a 5 gal batch this would be 5 grams of gelatin to 10 oz water.

It works best if beer is 40 degrees or colder and allowed to work 2-3 days

1. Dissolve/rehydrate by sprinkling gelatin onto water and gently stir - allow to bloom for 30 mins (I cover with sanitized foil);

2. After 30 mins gently stir until no solids are visible;

3. Heat solution to 160-170 using short bursts in microwave;

4. Pour into beer and gently stir

Turned out great thanks all

Attachments

• FAD5031D-FE05-428D-887B-6D71A4B64CD6.jpeg
    FAD5031D-FE05-428D-887B-6D71A4B64CD6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Back