Fining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale a couple of weeks ago, and forgot the Whirlfloc. It is very cloudy. I pitched US-05, and it looks done. The air locks have gone still, and I am ready to keg it as a bright tank. It still has krausen. I have shaken it repeatedly, but the krausen persists. I was planning to use gelatin as a fining. I'm not sure whether to increase the amount of gelatin, or quite what to do with that when the krausen won't fall. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Take some gravity readings over 2 or 3 days to be sure, even without airlock activity fermentation may not be done.

Bright tank = secondary fermenter. Not saying it's done. Had the same persistent krausen with a wheat beer brewed the following week. For it, I.G.= 1.053. Gravity on transfer today 1.017. No finings for the wheat beer, as cloudy is fine for that. I would like a clearer clearer pale ale. Has anyone else put gelatin on top of a krausen that won't drop?

I have used whirfloc in every batch so have not had similar results yet. Why not just siphon under the krausen into secondary?

I ferment in a Sanke, so I can never actually see the beer, but I ferment a lot with US-05 and use gelatin. I typically add the gelatin 3 days prior to kegging, and crash-cool for those 3 days to drop as much sediment as I can out of it.

So I'd say you have no problem adding gelatin, *assuming* it's actually done.

I would NOT add gelatin until you're sure you're at FG. Given that US-05 can often go >80% apparent attenuation, I'd be very careful to ensure it's done.

Back