Finding Grain Characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vio0633

Reaction score
I'm a new all grain brewer so bear with me. I just finished making a brew sold at northern brewer called "Surly Furious". I'm trying to write down the recipe into my brew program but I'm having a hard time trying to find grain characteristics for some of the grains used. Is there a good site that lists what color and SG are for grains? I couldn't find the SG for this grain...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi.../base-malts/canada-malting-pale-ale-malt.html

One last question. Why is there a range for color? Shouldn't it be a standard number? I'm guessing with different temps you can achieve different colors. Thanks for the help!!

what program you using? as for SG i would just use the 2-row SG, i believe they would be very similar. 1.036

to answer your question for color, its like tolerances of parts, you will have both limits, that is why because it will variate depending on factors, but just use the mean for the color.

You also get differences between manufacturers when it comes to lovibond.

rustbucket said:
what program you using? as for SG i would just use the 2-row SG, i believe they would be very similar. 1.036

to answer your question for color, its like tolerances of parts, you will have both limits, that is why because it will variate depending on factors, but just use the mean for the color.

I'm using ibrewmaster on my iPad. Here is the recipe I just got done inputting.

Surly Furious

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.064
Type: All Grain FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.42 %
Calories: 199 IBU's: 103.13
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 16.6 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 70.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
7.50 lbs 60.53 % Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt 1.036 3.4
3.25 lbs 26.23 % Simpsons Golden Prmise 1.034 1.8
0.88 lbs 7.10 % Simpsons Medium Crystal 1.035 55.0
0.63 lbs 5.08 % Belgian Aromatic 1.035 26.0
0.13 lbs 1.05 % Simpsons Roasted Barley 1.025 550.0

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 14.37 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 8.50
1.75 ozs 88.76 Warrior 60 mins 15.00
2.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
5.00 ozs Simcoe 14 days 13.00
2.50 ozs Ahtanum 14 days 6.00
0.50 ozs Warrior 14 days 15.00
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 14 days 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg British Ale II Wyeast Labs 1335

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion In 75 min @ 150.0°F
Add 15.49 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 162.0°F
Sparge
Sparge 16.27 qt of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.440

Sent from my iPad

i could be wrong, and there are many opinions, but i would not use the amarillo for bittering hops, i think they work much better as a flavor/aroma. if your looking for such an extreme amount of IBU's this is what i would do.

1.75oz warrior @ 60
1.00oz amarillo @ 20
1.00oz amarillo @ 5
1.00oz Amarillo @ 0

Dryhop
1oz simcoe 7-10days (no more than that 14 is way to long)
1oz amarillo 7-10

and if you want warrior and ahtanum, the same as the other two.

i could be wrong, and there are many opinions, but i would not use the amarillo for bittering hops, i think they work much better as a flavor/aroma. if your looking for such an extreme amount of IBU's this is what i would do.

1.75oz warrior @ 60
1.00oz amarillo @ 20
1.00oz amarillo @ 5
1.00oz Amarillo @ 0

Dryhop
1oz simcoe 7-10days (no more than that 14 is way to long)
1oz amarillo 7-10

and if you want warrior and ahtanum, the same as the other two.

I believe he lifted the recipe off Northern Brewer's new Pro-Series.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Furious_Pro_Surly.pdf

There are some differences in this recipe and NB's old clone, as apparently the recipe is developed in cooperation with Surly to be as authentic as possible. One difference is the use of the malt he references as opposed to all Golden Promise (which the tour guide claimed was what was used). I believe the use of Amarillo as a First Wort Hop (not sixty minute boil addition, although the poster may feel that is close enough).

I'm going to give this recipe a shot someday as well. Furious is a fantastic beer, my first modern craft beer (non-import) in a can.

Edit: Reading again, I think he bought the kit itself and is going off the enclosed recipe. My apologies. I buy most of my ingredients at the local NB, but I buy a lot in bulk and use their posted recipes (so nice of them to do that) versus buying the kits.

joety said:
I believe he lifted the recipe off Northern Brewer's new Pro-Series.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Furious_Pro_Surly.pdf

There are some differences in this recipe and NB's old clone, as apparently the recipe is developed in cooperation with Surly to be as authentic as possible. One difference is the use of the malt he references as opposed to all Golden Promise (which the tour guide claimed was what was used). I believe the use of Amarillo as a First Wort Hop (not sixty minute boil addition, although the poster may feel that is close enough).

I'm going to give this recipe a shot someday as well. Furious is a fantastic beer, my first modern craft beer (non-import) in a can.

Edit: Reading again, I think he bought the kit itself and is going off the enclosed recipe. My apologies. I buy most of my ingredients at the local NB, but I buy a lot in bulk and use their posted recipes (so nice of them to do that) versus buying the kits.

Yes...this is the exact recipe I got from NB kit I bought. Amarillo is a first hop addition. Instructions tell you to put hops in as your draining from the mash tun to your kettle. I think bender is the same way too.

Latest posts

Back