Finding Difference in Testing Ph and Using Appropiate Water Profile For Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just learned alot about using appropiate water profiles for certain beers and testing your Ph for appropriate grain conversion and total beer quality. I have yet to follow either procedure in my beer making (only 7 all grain batches in). I was wondering if you all deff noticed a difference in your overall beer quality (taste, clarity, gravity, fermentation) when you started doing these two procedures. I am excited to start my next bjatch!

It's not a massive difference unless you're brewing with really hard water. That bring said I definitely noticed a difference when I started controlling mash pH and tweaking the water composition. My avg efficiency went from 68% to 74%. My beers also became a little more consistent and...complete? Or well rounded. I also found I could make my hop additions go further when I used an appropriate water profile.

I noticed a big difference in the flavors of my beers when I started monitoring the mash pH. After many brews I can say the Brun Water is really, really close at predicting the mash pH. So close that there are some brews I don't check the pH because experience has shown the what Brun water says is damn close to what I measure. So if you don't have a pH meter I would recommend downloading Brun Water, read the instructions and see where the estimated mash pH is estimated to be and adjust from there. I think you will notice a difference for the better in your beers.

Back