Finding a 10/3 240v 30a gfci cord.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt read all the posts but I run a 25 ft 10/3 extention cord from the basement dryer plug to the kitchen.I think the cord was around $35.Works great

Is this an exceptable solution - the GFCI Square D breaker for my main box cost about $103 at HD or $75 on EBay. This seems like an easy solution if it is legit? Why would you want lug around the spa panel vs. putting the breaker in the main box. My recollection on my spa was that the panel for it was necessary due to being able to disconnect the spa easily to work on it ( and not get lazy and not make the trip to the basement breaker panel every time). No need to work on the Keggle live just unplug so maybe it is an acceptable solution. Only negative would be that it would be non-portable. Can someone confirm. thanks!

The idea is not to lug the spa panel around. The spa panel is a lower cost GFCI solution than a 50A GFCI breaker for you main panel. In some cases the spa panel cost half as much as just the GFCI breaker. I bought a spa panel and plan to mount it in the brewing area. I'll then have the cord coming from that panel to the Kal clone control panel with an RV power cable.

I think most folks are trying to make use of an existing 3-hole dryer outlet. You can drop A GFCI breaker in your panel to drive the wiring that runs to that receptacle, but this leaves you with no ground wire where you plug in. You just get GFCI protected hots and neutral.

I think the GFCI cords that these guys are talking about take 3-wire in from a dryer outlet and then pass on 4-wires on further. Basically, splitting the neutral into one line that is allowed to carry current and another line that is not allowed to carry current and can be used as a ground connection in the panel.

to the OP: if you can't find the cable, you can always build one by using a spa panel that basically sits in-line on a power cable. A GFCI spa panel can be found for like $50. Attach a short 3-wire cable and 3-prong plug to it to plug into the dryer outlet and then have another 4-wire cable coming out of it that feeds on to your brewery.

Depending on how long you wanted the overall cable to be, this will cost you around $75.
The simple solution for me would be to drop a GFCI in the main panel (can it be 30a or does it need to be 50a - I'm going to run a 5,500 w element). I am not familar with what the advantage of a 4 wire set up gives (but it seems that it gives you the option to break off a 120 outlet in your brew panel? is that it?). Should I absolutely not run the 3 wire setup or is that just a preference? My 3 wire outlet was orginally run for a mig welder (to my gararge where I now plan to brew). My brew panel is ultra basic - just a 10,000w dimmer controller and cord.

Latest posts

Back