Finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BIAB.... 74% efficiency!!! After multiple failed brews with only getting high 50s and low 60s I've found what seems to work for me. Since I was trying I few new methods I wasn't going to spend any $ on more ingredients and I just used what I had at the house.... 6#s 2 row, 5#s Munich, 1# crystal 40, 1oz pacific jade @ 35 min, 1oz Amarillo @ 15 min and I'm going to dry hop 1oz simcoe @ 7 days. I had my LHBS dial his grinder way down and run it through twice. Also, instead of mashing in my total 7.5 gal, I mashed in 5.5 gal and did a little 2 gal sparge. I squeezed the balls outa this guy and BLAM! 74%!!! Mucho thanks to Seven, Yoop and Mysticmead for all the great advice! Temps were good and I have high hopes! Any idea what kinda style this will turn out to be? APA? Also, I know that airlock activity doesn't always give you a good idea of fermentation activity but man this thing is bubbling more than any other brew I've done! About a bubble per second for three days now! Any input is much appreciated. Is it possible to get too much out of your mash? Expected OG was 1.061 and I got 1.066. This is also the first brew I didn't filter my wort into the fermenter. I shook the hell outa the bucket then pitched Safale 05. What do you guys think?

glad I was able to help!. Let me know how that beer turns out. Let it ferment at its own pace. some go nuts others are less active. with BIAB you really won't over extract like you could with a traditional setup.

With the crystal 40 and munich, this is going to be more like a pretty heavy bodied darker amber. I got 11 as your estimated SRM based on your recipe.

Ya that's about what i got too. It was a very opaque golden almost bright yellow color as it went into the bucket. Any significance?

This brew seems to be mellowing out at about 1.018. Not as low as id like but MAN the OG tester tasted good! Strong simcoe at first and finishes with a very sweet hop flavor I've haven't ever tasted before. Never had pacific jade before, maybe that's it. Also, with the crystal40 and munich I expected a much darker brew. Wonder why. Any ideas why my FG stopped above the expected 1.012 range?

Back