Finally got a chest freezer need advice on most effective way to set up temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I finally found a chest freezer that was big enough for my two fermenters and also has room in case I decide to brew bigger batches. I used my Ink-Bird temp controller on my kegerator for the last batch of beer I brewed so I have a decent idea of how it works. For the kegerator, I have the temp probe duct taped to the carboy with some foam insulation and I just closed the door right on the probe's wire and it seems to be working fine. Will there be anything different that I need to do with this chest freezer?

I've read multiple posts that mention dangling the temperature probe into a bowl of water to measure the temp, some that talk about putting down floormats to keep the carboy from touching the freezers floor. What do you guys who use chest freezers for temp control do?

Also wondering if the freezer will be able to maintain a seal around the temp control wire or if I should attempt to drill a hole in the freezer?

If you guys have any advice on how to get this beast running smoothly I would be SO grateful. I'll Include a picture of the freezer below!
IMG_20180805_170834.jpg
IMG_20180805_170848.jpg

I think we're about equally divided between taping the probe to the fermenter with insulation, and using a thermowell in the beer. Using an old Johnson Controls analog unit, I cut a slit in the side of a stopper and put the copper probe directly in the beer. Probably not the best solution, but it seemed to work. Definitely don't do that with an electric probe!

Putting the probe in a jar of water is better than hanging it in the air, but still doesn't read the beer temperature accurately.

As far as the probe sealing on the door gasket, it's just never been an issue for me. Unless your gasket has hardened, I wouldn't worry about it.

I used my Ink-Bird temp controller on my kegerator for the last batch of beer I brewed so I have a decent idea of how it works. For the kegerator, I have the temp probe duct taped to the carboy with some foam insulation and I just closed the door right on the probe's wire and it seems to be working fine.
Sounds good to me.

I use a chest freezer with the inkbird temp controller. I have a heater wrap that I wrap around 3/4 of the surface of the carboy and I tape the probe to the side of the carboy with some towels bungee corded to the carboy to insulate it. I wouldn't do anything different from what you were already doing.

I do not put a mat on the floor of the freezer. I see no need. Plus, in the event that your blowoff tube makes a mess in the freezer, one less thing to clean.

Just close the lid on the wire. You won't have an issue. The lid of my freezer sits on the wire for the temp probe as well as the heater wrap and I don't have any issues with the seal.

I just use a roll of foam a got at Lowe’s and make a 8x8x2 inch foam pad and I tape it to the carboy with the temp probe. Works great

I tried the side of the fermenter but didn't feel I was getting accurate temps. Bought thermowells and never looked back. True readings from the middle of the wort. I now use a tilt too, and I find that the tilt and the thermowell are always within 1 deg F.

No issue with chest freezer door seal. I move the point of entry into the freezer from time to time to keep the seal from getting permanently creased in one spot.

Inkbird temp controller + Fermwrap heating 'blanket' + stopper with thermowell here for temp controlling my chest freezer. I have a folded towel beneath the glass carboy to prevent the potential surface contact induced cracking during the initial chill cycles, and leave it in place afterward since I'm too lazy to lift the carboy to remove it before it's time to rack to a keg

works like a champ

With fermentation, measure what you are controlling, not a separate liquid. Remember to have something in there to absorb the moisture that will form, or you'll end up with mold.

I use inkbird and put something under glass fermenters as stated above. I have tested temperature probe location: thermowell versus direct contact to outside of fermenter covered with foam. They read the same.

I second the moisture concern. Solved it in mine by using an RV dehumidifier. Just sat it in the corner of my chest, it uses granules, not electricity.

I have a couple of these, one for the keezer, one for my fermentation freezer, and they work well. Just plug it in for a day to dry it out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD0FN8A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Interesting. So I guess it works just like a silica gel packet (dessicant) you find with everything ("throw this packet away", "do not eat").
I've heard you can re-use the silica packets if you heat them. Just no indicator color.
I'm guessing plugging it in heats it.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. So I guess it works just like a silica gel packet (dessicant) you find with everything ("throw this packet away", "do not eat").
I've heard you can re-use the silica packets if you heat them. Just no indicator color.
I'm guessing plugging it in heats it.

Thanks!
Yep, just a big silica packet. You plug it in, heats up and dries out, ready to go again.

I tried the side of the fermenter but didn't feel I was getting accurate temps. Bought thermowells and never looked back. True readings from the middle of the wort. I now use a tilt too, and I find that the tilt and the thermowell are always within 1 deg F.

No issue with chest freezer door seal. I move the point of entry into the freezer from time to time to keep the seal from getting permanently creased in one spot.

You are correct, you aren't getting accurate temps with the controller taped to the outside underneath some insulation. The difference in beer temp is huge, almost 1/2 degree F. but with the tolerance of the yeast being several degrees with the same results, the thermowell really isn't necessary. Most of us go way overboard on things that really don't matter.

You are correct, you aren't getting accurate temps with the controller taped to the outside underneath some insulation. The difference in beer temp is huge, almost 1/2 degree F. but with the tolerance of the yeast being several degrees with the same results, the thermowell really isn't necessary. Most of us go way overboard on things that really don't matter.

While i 100% agree with your comment that most of us go way overboard on things that don't really matter, i would counterpoint that fermentation temp control is the ONE thing that really does matter to me (and probably a large majority on here). Maybe the yeast will be fine within the range, but going to a thermowell over outside temp stickers gives me a more refined, "truer" reading of what my wort is at.

I personally can notice a 2 degree F difference in something like US04 ferm temps.

I probably didn't need a Tilt either, but the data geek side of me wants to know EXACTLY whats going on, so i can truly see if small changes in things like a +/- 1 degree swing are affecting my outcomes.

Back