Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacred Knot Brewing

Reaction score
Hey all - I’ve been doing one gallon batches in a small jug to start brewing. I currently keg into a cannonball keg which fits in my fridge and utilizes a picnic tap and disposable co2 cartridge. By a stroke of luck some friends are giving me a bunch of free stuff: a chest freezer, larger carboy, larger keg and co2 tank etc. I’m not sure how to utilize the chest freezer best:

Im thinking I need to use it as a fermentation chamber for temp control. I’d love to have a kegerator but I do not have room for a side by side fridge for serving and fermentation, not do I realistically have room/money for a separate kegerator. I’m thinking I will use the freezer for temp controlled ferments and utilize the larger keg for storage of beer, lagering etc and carbonate in that keg with the larger co2 tank. I could do a closed system transfer to my cannon ball keg and continue to serve as I am currently. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Given "controlled fermentation" is one of the top recommendations for any brewer, and being limited wrt options, I think your proposed utilization of the windfall seems most likely to provide the best payoff.

And, who knows, maybe you'll hit another stroke of luck and someone will yack up a free kegerator or fridge next! :D

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back