Finally gave it a try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
So I've been collecting stuff for/slowly assembling a keggle and cooler tun. Today was the day and I had a lot of fun. The 48qt. cooler with copper manifold worked very well. I ended up with an efficiency of 76% and finished in five hours. Not bad in my book and only one to 1 1/2 hours more than an extract session. Struggled a bit with the keggle and cooling. First, it didn't fit too well on my burner. Second, I wasn't set up to cool it well as my immersion chiller was too short. I knew this but I thought it would work. The last problem I had was losing siphon at my bulkhead with another ~gallon of wort left above my dip tube inlet. All items for improvement that should be easily solved. If the finished product tastes as good as the intermediate product did I should be a happy guy! Oh! Forgot one more bump in the road. My assistant/mentor for the day who shall go un-named decided the boil smelled so good he'd lean over the pot to sniff and his sunglasses dropped off his head into the pot!:cross: It only took five minutes of digging to fish them out:p. Definately a story to tell about the beer. If anyone cares here's my recipe:

10 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lb. cara-pils
1 lb. 10L Munich
1/2 oz. simcoe at 60, 20, 10, and flameout

I mashed at 152 and the tun held temp. like a champ with virtually no loss over the hour. The first run and sparge went smoothly and quickly. I pitched US-05 and it's slowly creeping down to the low 60's in my swamp cooler as we speak. :tank:

We'll see how excited I am about it when it's done. It may end up being called Lupus IPA we'll see. I'm actually already thinking about my next AG recipe I need to do a wit for my friend that grows my sterling at his house. Well, that and the big beer on Saturday. I'm feeling good about the cooler but I want to throw the keggle out the window ATM. Good times for sure though today Erik thanks again!

Back