Finally, a use for the Florida sun..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
I brewed a saison the other day and let it chug away for 2 days at 66 in the chamber. Now, time to go sit in the Florida heat for a few days. We got a week of 80 degree weather. This is going to be good! (I did wrap the fermenter in a shirt to block the rays)

photo.jpg

If its anything like 3724 i would throw a blowoff on that baby fermenting that high.
Becareful with you swings at night also.
I tried the exact same thing during the summer with my first saison and it stuck real bad took over 6weeks to fully ferment out and i contribute this to temp swings
80+ during the day and 69-72 at night stressing the yeast to much.
Good luck! I cant get enough farmhouse during the summer!

Ondori, are you active in a brew club? PUB Guild here. If you're not already in the club, we are the St. Pete brewclub!

Shoot me an IM if you're interested in coming to check out a meeting!

Ondori, are you active in a brew club? PUB Guild here. If you're not already in the club, we are the St. Pete brewclub!

Shoot me an IM if you're interested in coming to check out a meeting!

No, I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I am in Oldsmar which is in between palm harbor/tampa, but I am always down in St. Pete. I will have to find out some details here :)

If its anything like 3724 i would throw a blowoff on that baby fermenting that high.
Becareful with you swings at night also.
I tried the exact same thing during the summer with my first saison and it stuck real bad took over 6weeks to fully ferment out and i contribute this to temp swings
80+ during the day and 69-72 at night stressing the yeast to much.
Good luck! I cant get enough farmhouse during the summer!

I thought about that too. I was thinking about buying a heating blanket and hooking it up to my temperature controller. Might hit up wallyworld after work.

A saison will certainly be just as happy at room temp inside your house. I keep my house at 75F, so that's about 78-83F internal fermentation temp.....perfect funkdified saison temps. Assuming you have central air, the temp would be very consistent inside. Even if you don't, it'd still be more consistent than outside.

If you do need to keep it outside for some reason, you'd be better off buying one of those big $10.00 watertight laundry baskets we've all used for commercial sanke kegs, and putting your carboy in a water bath outside. The thermal mass of the water would maintain the average temps outside despite the temp swings within 3-4 degrees. You don't want to buy a heating blanket that you'll use about one month a year at most here in St. Pete.

Or, spend $0.00 and just keep the carboy inside :)

Good luck!

Oh, and sorry! I think I sent you 2 messages. I had an error when I sent first one, so I didn't know if it went through.

Back