Finally, a clear beer... but why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlvgolf

Reaction score
Since I've gone all-grain, I've brewed five batches and all have been cloudy coming out of the mash & boil except for the last one, which I brewed yesterday. I've been reading a lot about water chemistry lately, so the only difference in my process for the last batch was I added about 55ppm of calcium (via gypsum and calcium chloride additions to my water). I live in NYC and we have very soft tap water (the water report from the city says an average of about 5ppm calcium, for instance).

Is the calcium responsible for my clarity in the latest batch? I figure it has to be because it's the only thing I changed, but wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience... maybe it's just a fluke! The recipe was an IPA with 2-row (68%), munich (12%), 60L (12%), 120L (6%) and a reasonable amount of hops, but when they settled in the kettle, it was quite clear.

Do you use whirlfloc/gelatin? My beers have been crystal clear since I started using a half tab whirlfloc per 5 gal and a packet of Knox gelatin in the keg. I generally don't care about the pre-fermented clarity.

I too have been doing a lot of research on water chemistry lately and my understanding is you need a minimum of 50 ppm calcium for a proper mash. In addition calcium helps yeast to floculate after fermentation.

I do use whirfloc, but I have noticed that my beer has been very cloudy coming out of the mash (and post boil as well, despite what seems like a strong hot break). I cold crash my beers when fermentation is complete, but that doesn't clear it up. This one was crystal clear coming out of the mash and the boil kettle after the boil so I'm hopeful this one comes out clear after I cold crash it in a few days. The calcium may have been the trick but we'll see.

I use RO water and always use brewing salts in the mash water. I raise most calcium levels to around 110 in beer. I fly sparge and my wort is always clear going into the boil kettle. I put whirlfloc in the boil (when I remember) and beer is clear. I also fine with gelatin in the keg as well.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Back